Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirDeep2 mapper.pl is making an empty reads_collapsed_vs_genome.arf file - help?!

I'm having trouble running mirDeep2, and I was hoping someone could help me out. I ran mirDeep2 fine the other day, but now it's mysteriously no longer working. The first step of using bowtie to process the reference genome seems to be working fine, but my issue is when I go to the next step:

Code:
    perl mapper.pl hg19miRNA_reads.fasta -c -j -l 18 -m -p HUMAN_Whole_Genome -s HUMAN_reads_collapsed.fa -t HUMAN_reads_collapsed_vs_genome.arf -v
    I get the following errors:

discarding sequences with non-canonical letters
    discarding short reads
    collapsing reads
    mapping reads to genome index
    trimming unmapped nts in the 3' ends
    Mapping statistics

#desc total mapped unmapped %mapped %unmapped
    Use of uninitialized value $count2 in subtraction (-) at mapper.pl line 630.
    total: 293297 Use of uninitialized value $count2 in print at mapper.pl line 630.
    293297 Use of uninitialized value $count2 in division (/) at mapper.pl line 631.
    Use of uninitialized value $count2 in division (/) at mapper.pl line 631.
    0.000 1.000
    Use of uninitialized value in subtraction (-) at mapper.pl line 633.
    seq: 293297 Use of uninitialized value in print at mapper.pl line 633.
    293297 Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at mapper.pl line 634.
    Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at mapper.pl line 634.
    0.000 1.000

I'm getting these divide by zero errors because there are absolutely no reads being mapped to the genome - my reads_collapsed_vs_genome.arf file that's generated is completely empty.

When I ran this the other day using the same set of data, it worked perfectly (generated pdfs and everything). In the interrum, I installed Biopieces in order to use their find_adaptor and clip_adaptor functions, because I only had about 25% of my reads mapping, and I thought some of my reads may have sequencing into the adaptors and that was affecting my ability to map them back to the genome. But since installing that, I keep getting this mirDeep2 error - nothing is mapping! Even if I go back and use all the data that worked before, it doesn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for helping.

I figured it out, and wanted to share the simple solution since I had seen this problem posted elsewhere unanswered... Turns out I just didn't have enough RAM, and our cluster was killing my job halfway through the initial bowtie step, which was ruining all downstream steps. Once I allocated more memory to my job, everything worked perfectly.

Comment

Me too . Have you solved? Have you asked to the authors?

/home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl out_WGS_k55.fasta -c -i -j -p ty55_1 -s ty55_1h.fa -t ty55_1h_vs_genome.arf
      touch: no se puede efectuar `touch' sobre «mapper.log_bak»: Permiso denegado
      Reads file contained a pattern with more than 1024 sequence characters.
      Please truncate reads and quality values and and re-run Bowtie.
      Offending read: ENTRY330941
      terminate called after throwing an instance of 'int'

#desc total mapped unmapped %mapped %unmapped
      Use of uninitialized value $count2 in subtraction (-) at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 630, <IN> line 111967.
      Use of uninitialized value $count in subtraction (-) at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 630, <IN> line 111967.
      total: Use of uninitialized value $count in print at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 630, <IN> line 111967.
      Use of uninitialized value $count2 in print at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 630, <IN> line 111967.
      0 Use of uninitialized value $count in division (/) at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 631, <IN> line 111967.
      Use of uninitialized value $count2 in division (/) at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 631, <IN> line 111967.
      Illegal division by zero at /home/soba/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/mapper.pl line 631, <IN> line 111967.
      ┌─( soba ) ─ ( ~/Documentos/Ensambladores/mirdeep2/tutorial_dir ) ───────────── (13:09:52 - mar jun 17)

Comment

Hi,

The reads_collapsed_vs_genome.arf file empty problem is happening may be due to bowtie versions.Please check the bowtie version which you installed in your machine and bowtie which you have used for indexing.If both are different (like version 1,1.01,1.1 etc) ,then reads_collapsed_vs_genome.arf will be empty.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses