Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SymbioNGS
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 3

    #1

    Using cd-hit to merge paired-end data then cluster

    Hi Seqanswers community,

    I have a paired-end dataset of Illumina MiSeq data where each F and R reads overlap along most of the merged fragment length (300 bp of ~320 bp fragments).

    It is my understanding that cd-hit-otu can handle this type of data, but when I try to run the following command using the perl script for paired end data:

    cd-hit-otu-all-pair.pl -i Alltrimfoward.fastq,Alltrimreverse.fastq -o
    OTUcdhitonly -t 1.0,1.0 -p 20,21 -c 0.99 -m true -e 0.00000044

    I get the following error messages:

    running command
    ./cdhit-dup/cd-hit-dup -i OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c -o OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup -d 0 -m false -f false > OTUcdhitonly/dup1.log
    cd-hit-dup: cdhit-dup.cxx:141: int HashingDepth(int, int): Assertion `len >= min' failed.
    sh: line 1: 9553 Aborted ./cdhit-dup/cd-hit-dup -i OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c -o OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup -d 0 -m false -f false > OTUcdhitonly/dup1.log

    running command
    ./cd-hit/clstr_sort_by.pl < OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup.clstr > OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup.clstr.sorted
    sh: OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup.clstr: No such file or directory

    running command
    ./multi-contig-filter.pl OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup.clstr.sorted > OTUcdhitonly/wrong-contigs.ids
    can not open OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c.dup.clstr.sorted at ./multi-contig-filter.pl line 8.

    running command
    ./fetch_fasta_exclude_ids.pl OTUcdhitonly/wrong-contigs.ids OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c > OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1

    running command
    ./cdhit-dup/cd-hit-dup -i OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1 -o OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1.dup -d 0 -m false -f true > OTUcdhitonly/dup2.log
    cd-hit-dup: cdhit-dup.cxx:141: int HashingDepth(int, int): Assertion `len >= min' failed.
    sh: line 1: 9561 Aborted ./cdhit-dup/cd-hit-dup -i OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1 -o OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1.dup -d 0 -m false -f true > OTUcdhitonly/dup2.log
    can not open OTUcdhitonly/fltd-c1.dup.clstr at ./cd-hit-otu-all-pair.pl line 192.

    There seems to be a number of possible things going wrong, here is a list of ideas:

    1) the following file is not getting made, causing the next steps to throw errors:
    fltd-c.dup.clstr

    This could be due to path specification problems, but unlikely.

    2) Maybe something is going wrong with the merging of the individual F and R reads into one paired-end read causing the dup.clstr file to not get made.

    I tried to see if I could merge the reads manually using the auxiliary tools (http://weizhong-lab.ucsd.edu/cd-hit/...uxtools-manual), specifically cd-hit-lap. However, it was not to be found in the cdhit-dup folder, although I was able to find another auxiliary tool (read-linker).

    3) Can cd-hit-otu handle merging pairs that have large overlaps? This information from the auxiliary tools suggests yes: "cd-hit-lap is program for extracting pairs of overlapping reads by clustering based on tail-head overlaps (with perfect matching)." But why isn't this script built into the package?

    4) The first error message output might also indicate the problem and might be causing the issue: cd-hit-dup: cdhit-dup.cxx:141: int HashingDepth(int, int): Assertion `len >= min' failed.
    I don't see anything about read length specifications in the input instructions, but I could be missing that in the perl script.

    I have searched around cd-hit documentation and googled the error messages, but really not too much information comes up.

    I have a workaround were I have used FLASh to merge my F and R reads into one single overlapping read, then passed that fastq file to Cd-hit using the perl script for single-end reads in cd-hit (cd-hit-otu-all-pair.pl). This works, but I'm not sure if it is legit so I want to compare this results with an output that cd-hit produces from merging to clustering.

    Any help would be appreciated!
  • SymbioNGS
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 3

    #2
    Solution

    Hi All,
    The reason the paired end perl script in cd-hit-otu was failing was because the name of each paired read in my Illumina generated raw data files (R1 and R2 for each sample) did not have the same identifier. The sequencer will name each uniquely. For example:
    @M02288:41:000000000-A8MHN:1:1101:22104:1895 1:N:0:26 (in the forward reads file per sample)
    and
    @M02288:41:000000000-A8MHN:1:1101:22104:1895 2:N:0:26 (in the reverse reads file per sample)

    You will need to rename all the reads in your reverse reads folder to be the same as those in your forward reads folder, ie, change the 2:N to 1: N. After I changed this and formatted the names of the reads to reflect the sample number, the paired end perl script ran perfectly.

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      Today, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    27 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    24 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    45 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
    1 response
    55 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...