Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull out unknown primers from fastq file?

Hello,
    I have fastq files from 16S sequencing data. The reads in these files have 6 different primers in them and I am wondering if anyone knows of a method where I can pull out the beginning of the reads, maybe 20-30 bps and then look for consensus sequences within these? This will then give me the primer sequence information for the 6 primers which is proprietary information from the company where the kits are made.

Can anyone think of a way to do this?
    Thanks!

Something like that should be pretty easy to do with any scripting language with fastq parsing libraries (or heck maybe manually inspecting the fastq since there's only 6 primers if you're not keen on programming).

Example R psuedocode (only because that's what I'm comfortable with)
    library("ShortRead"); #load the library for fastq manipulation
    fq_data <- readFastq("reads.fastq.gz"); #read in fastq data
    base_info <- sread(fq_data); #get just the base calls
    first20 <- substring(base_info, 1, 20); #get the first 20bp of each read

then you could do something like
    table(first20) to see the frequency of different 20bp sequences
    alphabetFrequency(first20) to get consensus sequences

Comment

IIRC, some FASTQ quality control pipelines will spot and report possible primer sequences.

Comment

maubp,
        I would love to find a tool that will spot and report possible primers. Can you be more specific?

I tried to sort and tally up the sequences and i am not finding them this way. Which tool are you referring to?

Thanks a bunch.
        Jen

Comment

e.g. FASTQC reports overrepresented sequences which ought to spot your primers:

Comment

If you have not solved this problem yet, there's another option, using BBTools:

reformat.sh in=reads.fq out=trimmed.fq ftr=19

This will trim all but the first 20 bases (all bases after position 19, zero-based).

kmercountexact.sh in=trimmed.fq out=counts.txt fastadump=f mincount=10 k=20 rcomp=f
            This will generate a file containing the counts of all 20-mers that occurred at least 10 times, in a 2-column format that is easy to sort in Excel. For example:

Code:
            ACCGTTACCGTTACCGTTAC	100
            AAATTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCC	85
            ...etc. If the primers are 20bp long, they should be pretty obvious.

Comment

Hi Brian,
              How should I cite your tool in a manuscript in prep that I am doing? Do you have a reference or should I use your website?
              Thanks,
              Jen

Comment

Hi Jen,

My tools are all still unpublished, so please just cite my name and website. Thanks!

-Brian

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses