Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dmb107
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 6

    #1

    Biopython Translate function

    Hi all!

    I'm having problems using Biopython to translate sequences into all 3 forward reading frames.

    I wrote this script (and it works):

    ######################
    #!/bin/python

    #translate dna to protein

    from Bio import SeqIO
    input = open("input.fasta", "rU")

    for record in SeqIO.parse(input, "fasta") :
    protein_id = record.id
    print(">" + protein_id)
    print(record.seq.translate(to_stop=True))

    input.close()
    #########################

    But this only gives me the default reading frame. After extensive searching, I still can't find how I edit the script so I can translate the +2 and +3 frames also.

    Any help? Thanks!
  • maubp
    Peter (Biopython etc)
    • Jul 2009
    • 1544

    #2
    I thought this was covered in the Biopython Tutorial http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html or the docstrings (API documentation), but can't find a specific example.

    The basic idea is cut off the first base, or first two bases to get the next frames, e.g.

    Code:
    print("In frame")
    print(record.seq.translate(to_stop=True))
    print("Offset by one")
    print(record.seq[1:].translate(to_stop=True))
    print("Offset by two")
    print(record.seq[2:].translate(to_stop=True))

    Comment

    • dmb107
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 6

      #3
      Thank you so much! I was about to rip my hair out! I really appreciate it!

      Comment

      • maubp
        Peter (Biopython etc)
        • Jul 2009
        • 1544

        #4
        Thank you for asking - this is useful feedback to improve the Biopython documentation:

        Comment

        • Dean29
          Banned
          • Mar 2021
          • 2

          #5
          This is very udeful! I like this info!

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          13 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          37 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...