Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fcmChIP
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 4

    #1

    byte range enabled server for NGS data?

    I use the UCSC genome browser to view NGS data. The browser needs to point a url to a server where data is stored in a binary (bigWig) format. I’ve looked into Google Drive/ iCloud drive/ One Drive. However, UCSC’s access to the files needs to be byte range-enabled, and these guys don’t seem to do this. Seems like I may need to find a dedicated server. At this point, my employer doesn't have a solution allowing UCSC access through the firewall. I’m looking into setting up a web server using MS Azure. Looks like you have to learn some .net programming for this, though, which will take a while.

    Any advice regarding better (easier) solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Richard Finney
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 701

    #2
    Create your own,local copy of the UCSC browser.

    Comment

    • fcmChIP
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 4

      #3
      local UCSC browser

      Thanks,

      I'd wondered about that. I have a MacPro with 32 GB ram, could also upgrade this.

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #4
        Originally posted by fcmChIP View Post
        Thanks,

        I'd wondered about that. I have a MacPro with 32 GB ram, could also upgrade this.
        That should be enough. If you work for a commercial entity a license purchase would be required.

        Comment

        • Richard Finney
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 701

          #5
          Set up UCSC browser on a Linux box with >2TB hard disk.
          It is not super trivial.

          _______
          "UCSC access through the firewall"
          "a license purchase would be required"

          Ah. I missed that.

          I guess a lot of drug companies don't want China/Russia/NSA/Google to know what genes they're interested in.
          Last edited by Richard Finney; 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM.

          Comment

          • maximilianh
            Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 15

            #6
            Use GBIB

            UCSC GBIB is for your, a virtual machine with almost everything pre-installed:

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            29 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            25 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...