No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch effect in Methylkit and SVA

Hello!

I have 6 RRBS samples that I am analyzing in MethylKit. After looking at the clustering and PCA plots it seems that there are batch effects. The 6 samples were done at 3 different times, each time one control and one case. The samples cluster according to these batches.

How can I remove the batch effects with SVA or other tools? I looked at the assocComp function and there were 3 PCA components that seemed to be correlated with batches at the 0.1 - 0.2 level. I don't trust that removing those 3 components removes just the batch effects.

SVA is recommended in the documentation, but I'm not an expert in R and I'm not sure how to use with MethylKit.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same boat with batch effects.

I've seen other posts claiming people use SVA on logit transformed values, but I'm not sure how I would - or if I should - incorporate the SVA transformed data back into the methylKit workflow.

Comment

Radmeth

No I didn't. I moved my analysis to RADmeth/Methpipe. In RADmeth you can define covariates in the design matrix to take care of batch effects.

Comment

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'll check it out.

Comment

Example

Here's a clarifying text I got from the author of RADmeth (I had 15 samples in three batches):

"First of all, you are absolutely correct. To account for batch effects you can add a few more columns to the design matrix. I have attached an example of such a matrix. It describes a dataset containing 15 samples. The samples are grouped into 3 batches. This is encoded by columns base, batch1, and batch2. (Note that you only need two extra columns to specify three groups: batch1 and batch2 permit methylation levels of two groups of samples to deviate from the third, base group; this gives you three total groups that correspond to batches; see what I mean?). The last column, testfact, defines a factor level that you would use for testing.

base batch1 batch2 testfact
          sample01 1 0 0 0
          sample02 1 0 0 0
          sample03 1 0 0 0
          sample04 1 0 0 1
          sample05 1 0 0 1
          sample06 1 1 0 0
          sample07 1 1 0 0
          sample08 1 1 0 0
          sample09 1 1 0 1
          sample10 1 1 0 1
          sample11 1 0 1 0
          sample12 1 0 1 0
          sample13 1 0 1 0
          sample14 1 0 1 1
          sample15 1 0 1 1
          "

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 07:03 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
          0 responses