Thanks Ben!
    That was a very quick reply! I will try this
    Best,
    Miltron

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Miltron,

I would recommend trying --offrate 6 and, if that doesn't work, --offrate 7. Those will use a sparser sample of the suffix array than is included in the index by default, which in turn reduces memory footprint. If that doesn't work, I would suggest running on a computer with more memory. The mouse genome is big

Good luck,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• miltron
    replied
    Hi, I'm a new member and I'm trying to use Bowtie to align some ChIPseq data. First of all, I'm really grateful that you are putting your efforts into this and really keeping an eye on this board it seems.

I installed Bowtie binaries for Windows on my Windows 7 system and I'm trying to use Cygwin to run it. I have 4GB of RAM installed on this computer. According to the documentation I thought that should have been appropriate memory for my purpose, but I might be understanding.

I'm assembling reads from 2.5 GB file to Mouse mm9 assembly and using the pre-built indexes reccommended in the Bowtie manual.

However, when I run bowtie I get the following error message:

Time loading forward index: 00:00:14
    Out of memory allocating the ebwt[] array for the Bowtie index. Please try
    again on a computer with more memory.
    Time loading mirror index: 00:00:01
    Time searching: 00:00:15
    Overall time: 00:00:15
    Command: C:\users\erna\desktop\bowtie-0.12.5-win32\bowtie-0.12.5\bowtie.exe -t -
    m 1 -v 2 -q --best mm9 reads/seq3.fastq seq3align.map

I've tried to increase the memory allocated to Cygwin to no avail. Do you think that finding another Windows system with more memory will help?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Originally posted by gen2prot View Post
    I have a question with Bowtie. Does the bowtie-build command create a different index everytime it is run on the same data? Myself and my colleague are creating an index of the Drosophila genome. But he says that the builds are different everytime one runs it. Is this true? If so how is the downstream process (Tophat, Cufflinks) outputs comparable to each other.
    Hi gen2prot,

If you run Bowtie twice on the same exact set of fasta files (same sequence names and sequence characters), specified in the same exact order, you should get the same exact index. If you don't, there's something wrong. If you have an example where it doesn't (the smaller the better), please email me.

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• gen2prot
    replied
    Hello Ben,

I have a question with Bowtie. Does the bowtie-build command create a different index everytime it is run on the same data? Myself and my colleague are creating an index of the Drosophila genome. But he says that the builds are different everytime one runs it. Is this true? If so how is the downstream process (Tophat, Cufflinks) outputs comparable to each other.

Thanks
    Abhijit

Leave a comment:

• bio_tt
    replied
    hi,
    bowtie is very popular,but i am a newer.and you say"Includes tool to convert Bowtie output to a Maq .map file ",but i don't know how to write the command line?could you help me? thanks

Leave a comment:

• seq_GA
    replied
    I managed to figure out the problem. I was using -f option for input file instead of -q option for inputfastq format. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• seq_GA
    replied
    Hi,
    I have downloaded fastq file format from ncbi (Illumina reads) and trying to use Bowtie and I get the following error.

Code:
    Error: reads file does not look like a FASTA file
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'int'
    Let me know how to overcome this problem. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• guisinmm
    replied
    I'm new to NGS, and I'm wondering if Bowtie could be of use to me. I have Illumina reads, and I want to assemble chloroplast genomes. I have built an index using another chloroplast genome, and I am successful in running Bowtie using default parameters. Sequence differences should be relatively minor in coding regions, but they could be significant in non-coding regions. I'll need to tweek the parameters accordingly, I guess. So, here are my questions: Would Bowtie be useful for me? How would you suggest I set -n or -v to allow for between species sequence differences? Once I get the output, how can I map these to the reference to create contigs? I see the location of the alignment in the output, but what step do I take next to work with the output?

Thanks for the help!
    guisinmm

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Originally posted by Subho View Post
    Hi Ben, how different are hg18 and NCBI36 genomes? Genomic co-ordinates for quite a few single nucleotide mutations obtained from RNAseq data based on bowtie hg18 index are not mapping to the same bases on NCBI36.
    Thanx,-s
    My understanding is that they're hg18 and NCBI v36.* are the same. See, e.g., the first question on this faq:

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Originally posted by isharon View Post
    I have a reference genome that is in fact a collection of many contigs whose lengths range between a few hundreds to a few thousands bps. Also most of my reads probably won't align to any of the contigs. Will bowtie work for such case?

Thanks,
    Itai
    Yes, it should.
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• Subho
    replied
    Hi Ben, how different are hg18 and NCBI36 genomes? Genomic co-ordinates for quite a few single nucleotide mutations obtained from RNAseq data based on bowtie hg18 index are not mapping to the same bases on NCBI36.
    Thanx,-s

Leave a comment:

• isharon
    replied
    I have a reference genome that is in fact a collection of many contigs whose lengths range between a few hundreds to a few thousands bps. Also most of my reads probably won't align to any of the contigs. Will bowtie work for such case?

Thanks,
    Itai

Leave a comment:

• Lien
    replied
    Hi again,

I performed a paired-end run on the Illumina, with 100bp reads. The original DNA fragments are +/- 200 bp. I have a percentage of about 40% of the reads that failed to align. I think some of the original DNA fragments are smaller than 200 bp, so there would be an overlap between both paired reads. To solve this, I think I would have to change the minimum insert size. But this would mean that this number would become negative (for example -30). Is this possible?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Lien
    replied
    Originally posted by Lien View Post
    Hello,

I have the same problems using a 64-bit computer ('Warning: Exhausted best-first chunk memory for read HWUSI_ ...; skipping read). My paired-end data are in .txt format. Could this have anything to do with the problem? Otherwise, as I'm only starting to work with these data, I have no clue to other things that could be causing this problem.

Thanks a lot!
    Lien
    Apparently, it is normal that some reads are skipped because they can't align. Just hope the percentage that is skipped isn't too high!

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM
  • seqadmin
    Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
    by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
    05-06-2024, 07:48 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:55 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 05-30-2024, 03:16 PM
0 responses