Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exome caputure: masking the non-genic sequences before aligning ?

Hi all,

I'm about to map a set of short reads after an exome capture.

I wonder if it would be worth to replace all the non-genic genomic sequences (using ucsc 'knownGene' ) with 'N'.

Wouldn't it speed up the alignment with BWA ? What would be the other possible consequences ? Has it ever been done before ?

Many thanks

Pierre

(copied from : http://biostar.stackexchange.com/questions/4413 )

The main consequence of removing information is increasing the risk of false alignments -- i.e. BWA may decide to make an imperfect & incorrect alignment which is the best it can make with your masked database, but with an unmasked one it would find a better (and correct) alignment. So, you may have false variant calls as a result.

BWA is very, very fast -- unless you have heaps of data I doubt you'll really find the speed benefit valuable. If you do need to speed up, an alternative strategy is to first align with Bowtie (which is even faster), saving the unaligned reads to files (this is an option) -- now run those through BWA. There is still a risk that Bowtie & BWA might have aligned a given read differently, but that is (in my guess) a smaller risk than masking out most of the genome.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses