No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting genome specific SNPs from 1000 genomes

Hello!

I've been trying to get SNP data from the 1000 genome project, I've been looking at the vcf files, however I fail to understand if these report population,individual, or total variation... I would like to download genotypes from specific genomes. I would appreciate any information.

Cheers

Documentation of the format can be found here

The files provided by the 1000 genomes project generally represent all the variant sites discovered in the samples analysed. The most recent release contains a list of the samples analysed ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...0804.ALL.panel

vcftools provides software which can provide subsets of data from a vcf file
    The files are also indexed by tabix which means you can stream variants from a specific part of the genome

Comment

Thanks Laura!!!
      Yes indeed, I found the vcftools, the sys admin will install soon and I will try it, but in the mean time I found a way to do it with awk, it works quite well!

M

Comment

Laura-
        Sorry to jump into someone else's thread, but you seem like an expert to whom I could ask this question. Have you tried running vcftools on the main November release genotype file ALL.2of4intersection.20100804.genotypes.vcf.gz?

If I uncompress the file and run:
        vcftools --vcf ALL.2of4intersection.20100804.genotypes.vcf --chr 21 --out chr22 --recode

then VCFtools quits with "Error:Expected Number entry in INFO description..." The three INFO fields for EUR_R2, ASN_R2, and AFR_R2 are missing the "Number" entry. It seems like "Number=1" should be inserted between the field ID and the "Type=Float" tag, or else vcftools quits. I have a hard time believing that no one else has ran upon this problem, so I wonder if I'm doing something unusual? Anyway, I've modified my local copy and it works, but I thought that someone perhaps closer to the 1000 Genomes project would want to know.

Best wishes,

Todd

Comment

That does look to be an error in the headers

If you find problems like this it is best to email [email protected] so the right people can investigate

thanks for letting us know

Comment

Laura-
            Sorry, I actually neglected to look under the "Project Contacts" link on the web-site. However, I did e-mail goncalo, since his e-mail is at the bottom of the README file for the latest release. Having not heard anything back from him, I thought that I should take the opportunity when I saw your message up above. Another thing I noticed, but don't know if it's expected, is that there are a number of rows that have no genotypes in any of the samples. I expect that many rows would be missing genotypes in one population or the other, but not across all samples. I suppose that those are variant sites that were found at BC and NCBI but did not have genotypes since they did not perform LD aware genotype analysis. It seems to me that those should be in the "sites" file but filtered out of the "genotypes" file. I'll put together an e-mail and forward my thoughts to the [email protected] e-mail.

Thanks!

Todd

Comment

It was decided it was better for all the sites to be in both files but those variants which don't have genotypes to get the ./. notation. The sites file is always meant to contain all the same variants as the genotype file but it is provided to give those who don't need individual genotypes a smaller download (300MB versus 60GB)

The only genotypes which should be used for imputation are those which include a prediction by BI as these are the only sites which have genotypes assigned in an LD aware manner. UMich genotyper isn't LD aware and imputation accuracy suffers if they are used for this purpose

Comment

all individual genotypes = 60 GB data?!

Are you kidding me?

60 x 10^9 / 1000 = 60 x 10^6 = 60 Mb per person, sounds reasonable.

Comment

Tell me about it!

The VCF file has so much other information besides just the genotype calls, that it seems a bit excessive for a release to the public. It's sort of like XML imbedded in a table format. A header at the top, and key value pairs embedded within columns.
                  A representative single variant position call data for one sample looks like this!:
                  0|0:3,0:3:.:-0.00,-0.90,-13.33:22.58:./.

To understand the format a bit better, take a look at http://www.1000genomes.org/wiki/Anal...mat-version-40

If someone wants just genotype calls, you can download files formatted for Beagle, MACH, and Impute, which are much much smaller, but it seems to me that each of those formats leaves out some of the info that would be useful for checking allele orientation (i.e, between existing Build 36 Illumina 610k data and the release's Build 37 coordinates):

Beagle:

MACH:

Impute:

Comment

Originally posted by genesquared View Post
                    all individual genotypes = 60 GB data?!

Are you kidding me?

60 x 10^9 / 1000 = 60 x 10^6 = 60 Mb per person, sounds reasonable.
                    Well its only 629 individuals in this instance and its 60GB compressed, 380GB uncompressed but you should generally be able to stream the file using a combination of tabix and or zcat so you never need to uncompress it properly

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Johnson View Post
                      Laura-
                      Sorry to jump into someone else's thread, but you seem like an expert to whom I could ask this question. Have you tried running vcftools on the main November release genotype file ALL.2of4intersection.20100804.genotypes.vcf.gz?

If I uncompress the file and run:
                      vcftools --vcf ALL.2of4intersection.20100804.genotypes.vcf --chr 21 --out chr22 --recode

then VCFtools quits with "Error:Expected Number entry in INFO description..." The three INFO fields for EUR_R2, ASN_R2, and AFR_R2 are missing the "Number" entry. It seems like "Number=1" should be inserted between the field ID and the "Type=Float" tag, or else vcftools quits. I have a hard time believing that no one else has ran upon this problem, so I wonder if I'm doing something unusual? Anyway, I've modified my local copy and it works, but I thought that someone perhaps closer to the 1000 Genomes project would want to know.

Best wishes,

Todd
                      This error should of now been fixed

thanks for pointing it out

Comment

I would like to inspect 17 individuals' and about 300 SNPs in a 500 kb loci.

Is there any "short cut"?

I know their hg18 position (but no rs#).

Thanks in advance

Comment

Your best bet for this it to use tabix to extract the data from the released vcf files.

The vcf format is described here

The files themselves can be found here
                          ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...man_variation/

You can use tabix http://sourceforge.net/projects/samtools/files/tabix/ to extract subsections of these files

e.g

tabix -h ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz 1:10000:20000

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses