No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert genome coordinates from two assemblies

Hi!

I’m working with two closely related species ( < 1 MY) and got a reference genome for both of them. I re-sequenced several individuals per species and mapped the reads to the reference genome of the particular species. Now, I would like to look at SNPs between and within the species. For this, I obviously need to have the same genome coordinates for the SNP positions. Does anyone have a good advice how the convert the coordinates? My main concerns are how to deal with indels and how I could still be able to use additional available data of one of the species such as genome annotation.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

You should look at the liftOver tool from UCSC which can be used to covert between different coordinate systems. You can create a set of 'chain' files which allow you to convert between coordinates in your different assemblies. The matching is based on either blat (if the species are close enough for a DNA level comparison) or blastz for more distant relationships.

Comment

Thanks Simon for your helpful post. It seems to be pretty time intense to create these liftOver chain files. Do you have any experience on the accuracy, i.e. how well the coordinates can be transformed (blat performance)?

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TuA View Post
        Thanks Simon for your helpful post. It seems to be pretty time intense to create these liftOver chain files. Do you have any experience on the accuracy, i.e. how well the coordinates can be transformed (blat performance)?
        The liftOver chains might take a long time to calculate, but once you have them the speed with which coordinates can be transformed is blazingly quick. I guess the efficiency of the conversion will depend on the degree of identity between your genomes. We mostly use the system for converting between different assemblies of the same genome, and it's very accurate and quick there. If your two genomes are reasonably high identity then you should have no problem.

Comment

Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try...

Comment

CrossMap

CrossMap is a program for convenient conversion of genome coordinates between assemblies. It supports most commonly used file formats including SAM/BAM, Wiggle/BigWig, BED, GFF/GTF, VCF.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses