Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument statistics, anyone?

The number of machines sold by each major manufacturer is a closely guarded secret - they gave some figures at the beginning, but no longer now (as far as I've been able to see). Does anyone have firm or semi-firm estimates? My own guestimate is around 1,000 systems sold altogether, more than half being Illumina and the rest shared (about equally) between 454 and SOLiD...
    Do you agree, disagree?

All replies will be VERY welcome!
    Bertrand Jordan
    Marseille-Nice Genopole
    Luminy Science Park
    13288 Marseille, FRANCE

whilst I also don't have access to any official numbers either, your estimate sounds about right -- based on what ive heard.

Comment

Originally posted by brjordan View Post
      The number of machines sold by each major manufacturer is a closely guarded secret - they gave some figures at the beginning, but no longer now (as far as I've been able to see). Does anyone have firm or semi-firm estimates? My own guestimate is around 1,000 systems sold altogether, more than half being Illumina and the rest shared (about equally) between 454 and SOLiD...
      Do you agree, disagree?

All replies will be VERY welcome!
      Hey, you forgot the 11 Heliscope from Helicos!

Well, your estimation sounds quite realistic to me, a market study i read was displaying similar numbers.
      Regarding the distribution -by location and manufacturers- a sample is available on this map.
      cheers,
      s.

Comment

Other makes

Yes, I did forget Helicos (and also the Polonator), but these are still very small contributors... Can you tell a little more about the market study you saw (I suppose it is one of these $3,000 studies and is not available)?

Anyway, thanks for your reply, and I'm happy to see that my ballpark estimate seem to be reasonable.

Cheers,

Bertrand
        Bertrand Jordan
        Marseille-Nice Genopole
        Luminy Science Park
        13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

Hi Bertrand,
          No, i did not pay 3000$.. i think i saw this in genomeweb article.
          You may also be interested in the only two surveys i am aware of with publicly available results:
          http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108
          http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273
          cheers,
          s.

Comment

Illumina reported today at users meeting they recently shipped 1500th instrument.

Comment

This sounds very high (1,500 GA instruments shipped)... Are you sure they are referring exclusively to GA and not lumping together other instruments? Do you have any link to this statement?
              Thanks,

Bertrand
              Bertrand Jordan
              Marseille-Nice Genopole
              Luminy Science Park
              13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

If their serial numbers are meaningful then they have shipped over 1500. We just got an instrument a month ago and its serial number is 1599. Our original instrument, received about 2.5 years ago was serial number 216.

Comment

Well, serial numbers are not always meaningful - remember the story of Hitler's party card number? (number 555 - but they had started the numbering at 500 so as not to give away their small numbers).
                  However if you saw #216 two years ago and now see #1599 - this looks pretty solid (not SOLiD!)...
                  Any other comments to confirm this? Recent serial numbers or other info?

Thanks to all,

Bertrand
                  Bertrand Jordan
                  Marseille-Nice Genopole
                  Luminy Science Park
                  13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

Our serial number is 1508. We got ours delivered in late September.

Comment

On this subject... Anyone got good figures for 'cost per Mega base' for the Illumina, 454 and Sanger technologies?

I have the following numbers:

Sanger 5.00 pounds per megabase.
                      Roche 0.02 pounds per megabase.
                      Illumina 0.002 pounds per megabase.

However, they seem too low!

Can anyone interpret these values for me?

Can anyone offer other values with appropriate interpretation?

Cheers,
                      Homepage: Dan Bolser
                      MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Nah, maybe a little high!

I did some calculations for a small talk last year and based by numbers on the official pricing of the 'Institute for Genome Sciences & Policy' at Duke University, Durham, USA - last January or so:

Saenger: 150$ --> 96kbp in ~1000bp
                        Illumina: 1950$ --> 325Mbp in 2x36bp
                        454: 8000$ --> 30Mbp in ~260bp

Saenger: 0.0015 $ ~7bp/cent
                        454: 0.0004 $ ~ 25bp/cent
                        Illumina: 0.000006 $ ~ 1600bp/cent

unless I was having some serious miscalculations...or very off estimates...

While Illumina is cheapest, you need a moderate to serious coverage for deNovo sequencing and so on...

Best
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks Jonathan!

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                          While Illumina is cheapest, you need a moderate to serious coverage for deNovo sequencing and so on...

Right, that is kind of what I meant by 'interpretation'. i.e. the difference between the cost of a 'finished base' vs. the cost of a 'raw base'.

I'll see how these numbers come out when I multiply through by my volume of data...

Dan.
                          Homepage: Dan Bolser
                          MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful feedback.

So we are left with an estimate of 1,000 machines (total, ca. 50% Illumina, the rest shared between SOLiD & 454), which several people agreed with (this is also in line with a June '09 report by the Leerink Swann investment bank), and another much higher estimate according to which there would be more than 1,500 Illumina machines, and presumably around 1,000 others... The error bar is pretty large! My impression (for what it's worth) is that the CURRENT (dec. '09) figure is probably at or above 2,000 total since a) the Leerink report did not account for all genome centers (and much less all individual labs), b) there has apparently been a buying spree lately, and c) the evidence for 1,500 Illumina machines is anecdotal (serial numbers) but significant.

One more point: it looks as if 454 has been losing market share. Maybe that's why they just announced a "454 junior" with 1/5th the price and 1/10th the throughput of their current system?

All comments are of course welcome...

Bertrand
                            Bertrand Jordan
                            Marseille-Nice Genopole
                            Luminy Science Park
                            13288 Marseille, FRANCE

Comment

discounts

of course what we can never expect to see is how many machines are fully paid for, how many are discounted and how many are just placed for free.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses