Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inordinate Number of Reads Being Filtered

I am losing about half of my data from the TrimBack Valley and Signal Intensity Filters (numTrimmedTooShortQuality). Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what are your solutions and/or recommendations?
    Any comments at all would be appreciated, as I am still a newbie with this system, and support from Roche has been spotty at best.

Thanks!

Barry

Which pipeline are you using? The ends of the reads may be of lower quality, which may caused reads to be filtered out.

If your still interested in the those rejected reads anyway, you could try the standard shotgun pipeline (which supposedly is less stringent compare to the amplicon pipeline)

Comment

Yes, we tried the shotgun pipeline and that roughly doubled our number of bases called.

Thanks!

Comment

Great, keep in mind that the amplicon pipeline does several additional correction to help reduce homopolymer error (amplicon library are generally very bright, hence more chance of producing homopolymer error).

While the using the shotgun pipeline to process amplicon samples gives more data, it may or may contain more homopolyer error. Just something to watch for.

Comment

In my experience, the extra data you get by processing amplicon data with the shotgun pipeline doesn't help. The extra data doesn't ususally equate to more information because the lower quality of the data offsets the reduced quantity. As for homopolymers, I do find more errors in homopolymer regions. Of course, your experience may differ from mine. It's probably worth it to try it both ways and see if that extra data helps or not.

There are a few TCBs relating to amplicon sequencing that you should read if you haven't already. There's one (sorry, I don't remember which one off the top of my head) that talks about the what makes the amplicon filtering pipeline different. You should certainly read that if you haven't already.

Comment

But the amplicon pipeline does not do quality trim-back. It tosses reads that don't meet its quality criteria, but the reads it keeps may still have low quality 3' sequence in them.

--
            Phillip

Comment

One of the recommended filtering strategies is to use the amplicon pipeline, but change the setting so that it will trim the reads instead of discarding them. This is in the latest (July 2011) guide to amplicon experimental design.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses