Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concatemer formation for RainDance library prep?

Hi All,

I am trying to make ligated libraries using the 454 Rapid library prep kit for DNA samples PCR amplified from RainDance merged primer/template droplets. After Ampure beads purification, I saw a very intense high- molecular weight smear (concatemer formation?) on Bioanalyzer DNA high sensitivity chip, with size ranging from 1.5kb to 6kb.

Enriched Beads yield is very low after emulsion PCR using these library, even with a 8 DNA/Bead ratio.

This seems to be very specific to RainDance/PCRed DNA as I don't have any problem using fragmented DNA for library prep. I tried to reduce DNA input to as little as 30ng/reaction but it still did not resolve the high molecular smear. I tried new kits and it didn't help either.

Does anyone have similar experience? Any thoughts/input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by ngseq; 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM.

Never even seen a RainDance system. But if you are getting linear multimers from PCR, that suggests your primer/template ratio is going too low at some point. Because you describe the smear as "intense", my recommendation would be to cut back on the number of cycles of PCR.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by ngseq View Post
      Hi All,

I am trying to make ligated libraries using the 454 Rapid library prep kit for DNA samples PCR amplified from RainDance merged primer/template droplets. After Ampure beads purification, I saw a very intense high- molecular weight smear (concatemer formation?) on Bioanalyzer DNA high sensitivity chip, with size ranging from 1.5kb to 6kb.

Enriched Beads yield is very low after emulsion PCR using these library, even with a 8 DNA/Bead ratio.

This seems to be very specific to RainDance/PCRed DNA as I don't have any problem using fragmented DNA for library prep. I tried to reduce DNA input to as little as 30ng/reaction but it still did not resolve the high molecular smear. I tried new kits and it didn't help either.

Does anyone have similar experience? Any thoughts/input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!
      Hi ngseq, not sure if you have solved your problem yet... but likely the source for the high mw smear is from the fragmented DNA template that got carried over from PCR. In which case gel purification may solve your problem.

Comment

Hi Benh,
        Thanks! You are probbaly right and we'll try gel purification next time.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses