Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsMapper to SAM/BAM

Is anyone aware of a conversion process to take gsMapper output (newbler) and turn it into the more standard SAM/BAM format?

You can try using the bank2contig tool of the CVS version of the AMOS package. You can use the toAmos tool to convert the ace to an Amos bank which is the input of the bank2contig tool.
    Last edited by asifrim; 02-11-2010, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I am confused. bank2contig gives sam format?

I am also interested in converting gsmapper output to sam format. any suggestions?
      --
      bioinfosm

Comment

The development version of bank2contig can take the -S option to output an AMOS bank as SAM. To get from gsMapper to an AMOS bank you'll have to use the outputted .ace file that gsMapper gives you. I haven't gotten it to to work properly though as the resulting SAM file doesn't seem to contain the base qualities.

I'm seriously considering scripting it myself if Roche doesn't deliver soon

Comment

I've scripted a GS Mapper to SAM format converter in Ruby.
          You can find it here:

At the moment it only handles single end reads.
          The code might be a bit ugly as I used this as an educational project to get into Ruby. Instructions can be found in the readme.

Caveat: The sam file compiles to bam, but I haven't thoroughly checked it for errors, so there might still be some bugs. Please feel free to report any if you see them

Comment

Asifrim,

The bank2contig wtih the -S option doesn't give a SAM format. According to the documentation online, conversion to SAM should be using the -s option but as of version 2.0.8 that is not available. The -S option in version 2.0.8 give a Simple Layout Style.

I also tried your Ruby script GstoSam but it truncated prematurely.

MQ.

Comment

Hi MQ,
              I seem to have mistyped it, it should have have been downcase: -s for SAM
              (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...le=Bank2contig)

Did the ruby script return any kind of error? What version of Ruby are you using? Are you outputting the standard GS mapper output or the tabbed version of the output? If I remember correctly the script works on the default output type (which is the multiline output per read).

Comment

Originally posted by asifrim View Post
                I've scripted a GS Mapper to SAM format converter in Ruby.
                You can find it here:

At the moment it only handles single end reads.
                The code might be a bit ugly as I used this as an educational project to get into Ruby. Instructions can be found in the readme.

Caveat: The sam file compiles to bam, but I haven't thoroughly checked it for errors, so there might still be some bugs. Please feel free to report any if you see them
                My application: I would like to view the output of a 454 fragment sequence run mapped (resequence) back to the reference genome of the organism sequenced using IGV.

So I am using your script on gsMapper output. It seems to work to a first approximation. (Which is more than I can say for any of the other methods I have tried...) But it does not seem like I am quite there. Your script creates a .sam file -- but there is no header created. The sam specification claims http://samtools.sourceforge.net/SAM1.pdf

The SAM format consists of one header section and one alignment section.The whole header section can be absent, but keeping the header is recommended.
                But attempts at converting this sam file to bam for sorting fail. For example:

Code:
                 samtools view -b Synechocystis-1.sam
                [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent.
                [main_samview] fail to read the header.
                I am running a fairly recent version of samtools:

Version: 0.1.7 (r510)

Is there a reason why for my purposes a header section is required? Perhaps because I was running gsMapper, rather than gsAssembler?

--
                Phillip

PS Yes, I agree Roche programs should offer SAM/BAM output as well as .ace

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses