Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User-performed maintenance on GS-FLX+

We are getting ready to do our first switch out of filters and pump tubing on our GS FLX+. Has anyone given this a go yet? Any tips? We've had such a bad year with ours that I am hesitant to give it another reason to act up.

We had ours replaced once already but our FAS came to the lab and did it for us. It seemed fairly simple, actually simpler than I thought. Next time I think we will do by ourselves.

Comment

Seems easy enough, but they send out my service engineer to do it. I think there is a video on the my454 website showing how to do it.

Comment

Thanks to both for the reply.
        Yes - I've watched the video and I think it will be do-able - no one offered up front to send anyone to do it so I'll just give it a go - just wondering if there were any snags I might run into.
        As I said - this has not been a good year for this machine and I hate to give it an excuse to act up.
        Thanks!

Comment

If you have a service contract, you can probably push to have the engineer come out. It sounds like you'd have good reason to justify it. Good luck!

Comment

Slightly off topic but.....
            I have just done the tubing replacement on the Junior and it went very smoothly, if a little bit fiddly.

I had an engineer out last week for a separate issue and he seemed to think that the Preventative Maintenance Kit (spare tubing and replacement air filter) should be free if you have a service contract for your machine (which I do).

Has anybody with a contract been getting this kit free or are we all paying for it?

Comment

Originally posted by LAH View Post
              We are getting ready to do our first switch out of filters and pump tubing on our GS FLX+. Has anyone given this a go yet? Any tips? We've had such a bad year with ours that I am hesitant to give it another reason to act up.
              We already replace the pump tubing/filters once. I was only irritated, that there are four (?) tubings in the kit, but you only have to replace the upper two ones. Just try it! Like GraemeFox said, it's a little bit fiddly and we need two attempts but then the penny has dropped and we thought the video makes it far to complicated.
              Last edited by tokikake; 06-28-2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeFox View Post
                Slightly off topic but.....
                I have just done the tubing replacement on the Junior and it went very smoothly, if a little bit fiddly.

I had an engineer out last week for a separate issue and he seemed to think that the Preventative Maintenance Kit (spare tubing and replacement air filter) should be free if you have a service contract for your machine (which I do).

Has anybody with a contract been getting this kit free or are we all paying for it?
                We had to pay for it but after I complained about the exorbitant price (795 Euro for four tubings and five filters!!) I got one kit for free...

Comment

We've changed ours 3x since our upgrade at the beginning of 2012. Make sure you adequately tighten the connectors installing the new pump tubing - we were about 5 runs in after our last tubing change and had a couple of poor runs that presented as fluidics issues. The connectors had come loose and reagents were leaking. Our engineer recommends checking and re-tightening these before each run as the action of the pump can cause them to loosen over time.

Comment

Thanks all for your responses.
                    We definitely don't get these for free - in fact we just were informed that we hadn't received everything required for the kits we had purchased. The Wash buffer and sipper tubes and pre-wash tubes were sent after the fact.
                    I'll let you know if I have any hiccups.

Comment

Mine are free as a part of the super expensive service contract.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses