Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RL from WGA, and Control Bead Question

We recently had six whole genome amplified emPCR's fail. These were from environmental samples. I'm wondering if contaminants have carried through the rapid library prep and killed the reaction. Anybody have similar problems?

Also, what does it mean if control beads are having 60% of their sequences trimmed by the too-short-quality filter? Seems high to me. Only one set of the two control bead types are doing this.

Thanks.

Barry

Hey Barry,

I have also noticed that one of the control bead types gets lost to short quality a lot more than the other type. No solution, just confirming your suspicions...

Comment

Are they the AVF control beads? Those are designed to test the system, and are full of homopolymer regions. You can probably expect a lot of those to fail.
      And I've been told that WGA samples are not compatible with the 454. I have more info on both of these subjects; I'll try to check tonight and report back.

Comment

Ok, found my notes. They say that WGA is not recommended for the 454 because of artifacts that can be created during the process. Apparently, the polymerase can hop on and off of the DNA, but continue making copies. This leads to chimeras.
        As for the control beads, I had a similar, confusing problem. In regions containing a particular customer's samples, on three different occasions, there seemed to be very few, if any, control beads. At first I thought user error. Then it happened again with a different user, then again with yet a different user. It turned out to be the sample. They were relatively short amplicons (~200bp) and amplified very well, so well that the signal from the library was drowning out the controls! I haven't had a chance to resequence these, but our FAS recommended going down to 12.5% of the amplification primer, instead of just 25%.

Comment

@Bradfish. Thanks for the information.

@Anthony: Well, in this case, the WGA emPCR completely failed. Or perhaps the ligation failed, although I was able to measure incorporated FAM (presumably incorporated and not free FAM). So, I don't think stutter artifacts would kill the emPCR, would they? As for the control beads, it was indeed the AVF set that had the failures. I'll suggest cutting the amount of primer down to the PI. This forum is the first time I've heard of doing that!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses