No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shorter read lengths than anticipated

Hi All,

I'm currently using the Lib-L kit for GS Junior. My PCR product size is around 500 bp, but I've been having trouble getting sequence reads with that length...After the sequencing run, I saw several read length distributions, for example, a peak at 150 bp, 300 bp, 400 bp, and 500 bp. Previously, I've also seen other samples that had two peaks, around 400 and 500 bp. These were all done with shot gun processing - so when I convert the raw data from shot gun to amplicon sequencing, I could still get enough sequences for analysis, but I'd like to resolve the issue since our lab has been using shot gun processing. Is there any step in the library prep I should be aware of to improve my read lengths? Size check with flashgel after ligation step indicated that I did have the correct fragment size.

Thanks for your help!

Maybe this is a silly question, but if your DNA sample is a PCR product of ~500bp, can't you skip the 'shotgun' process? No shearing is required as it is already at the target size?

Comment

Originally posted by chi_bet740 View Post
      Hi All,

I'm currently using the Lib-L kit for GS Junior. My PCR product size is around 500 bp, but I've been having trouble getting sequence reads with that length...After the sequencing run, I saw several read length distributions, for example, a peak at 150 bp, 300 bp, 400 bp, and 500 bp. Previously, I've also seen other samples that had two peaks, around 400 and 500 bp. These were all done with shot gun processing - so when I convert the raw data from shot gun to amplicon sequencing, I could still get enough sequences for analysis, but I'd like to resolve the issue since our lab has been using shot gun processing. Is there any step in the library prep I should be aware of to improve my read lengths? Size check with flashgel after ligation step indicated that I did have the correct fragment size.

Thanks for your help!
      Hello, in the last several 454 runs on our FLX I have noticed this as well. Our FAS is also unsure of why this is happening. I suggest you ignore the issue and just do as you have always done. This is "normal" currently. There are some issues out there with the 454 kits, this can be one of the outcomes.

I am sorry I was not able to help you but this is an ongoing issue.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses