Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 Sequence reads with the wrong MID??

I am analysing a environmental barcoding 454 dataset. As this is the first run I have completed I individually identified all species in all samples prior to bulk PCR and 454 sequencing, so I know what should be in each sample. While it has worked well I have one quirky thing with the dataset where I get 1-4 sequence reads appearing in samples that represent species that should not be in the sample. I though it may represent gut content of my species (as guts where included in the 454 extractions), but these reads are sporadically appear and are not alway associated with all replicates of a sample. I used a universal tailed design (with 2 PCR step to attached the MID) so I not sure how it could happen but is it possible for a small number of reads to be associated with the wrong MID? Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas??

I saw a paper in press that describes this source of error, but I forget the title and journal. it describes something in the way of MID swapping or errors in the MIDs that create either new MID combination not employed in the study or mimic existing MID combos. I have seen the same thing in our dual MID data i.e. we get a bunch of duel mid combination that were not employed, at very low sequencing depths.

Just ignore them in my opinion

Comment

JackieBadger,
      Any chance you could help me find that paper? We're dealing with a similar issue, and trying to rule out anything and everything is rather time consuming.
      Thanks!!

Comment

SURE..found it!

Comment

One other thing that could explain your observations is aerosol contamination of PCR products, or during DNA extraction.
          DNA contamination may occur if you are using a robot for extractions where the same pipets are only rinsed. For all next-gen library preps you should follow strict pcr-PCR conditions. i.e. separate rooms, barrier filter tips etc

Comment

We consistently see something similar (8+ 454 Jr. runs).
            Multiplex sequencing of samples that each have unique MIDs on 5' and 3' resulting in reads that have crossing of MIDs.

(samples prepared on separate days, using pre- and post-PCR rooms)

Occurring at about 1% of total reads.

Most likely this occurs during emulsion PCR by cross-priming of unincorporated primers (no matter how good your sample prep is).

Hope this is informative

Comment

Just out of curiosity I used sfftools to split one of earlier sff files from multiplexed run. In addition to expected barcodes 1 to 5 I found reads with unused barcodes 6-12 at the rates of few percent each. Interestingly, tubes with barcodes 6-12 were never opened yet at the time the libraries were prepared and I am the only one in the entire institute who uses 454 sequencing. So the possibility of any sort of contamination is out of question. Either reagents were cross-contaminated already or there got to be another reason for emergence of reads with unexpected barcodes.

Comment

Originally posted by yaximik View Post
                Just out of curiosity I used sfftools to split one of earlier sff files from multiplexed run. In addition to expected barcodes 1 to 5 I found reads with unused barcodes 6-12 at the rates of few percent each. Interestingly, tubes with barcodes 6-12 were never opened yet at the time the libraries were prepared and I am the only one in the entire institute who uses 454 sequencing. So the possibility of any sort of contamination is out of question. Either reagents were cross-contaminated already or there got to be another reason for emergence of reads with unexpected barcodes.
                Same goes here.
                The paper I linked too earlier discusses.

Comment

Thank you for the link! Just starting to get the hang of sfftools, and it looks like I'm finding the same...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses