Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started analysing 454 data

I have got some data from a 454 titanium sequencing run (single end) of a model plant genome and the sequencing centre have provided us with the following files:

sff/library1. sff library2.sff
    mapping/ lots of files in this folder e.g. 454ReadStatus.txt

I do not have any user guide to tell me what an sff file is or what any of the files contain. Does anyone know of a good resource to get me started please?

Thanks for your help

Hiya,

If you're new to 454, I'd ask your sequencing centre to send you the .fna (effectively a FastA file) and .qual (the quality scores for each base) files that are produced when the .sff file is processed with the 454 software. I think that's probably the easiest way to get started

Cheers,
    Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by rglover View Post
      If you're new to 454, I'd ask your sequencing centre to send you the .fna (effectively a FastA file) and .qual (the quality scores for each base) files that are produced when the .sff file is processed with the 454 software. I think that's probably the easiest way to get started
      There's a quicker way: extract all the sequences from the SFF yourself. If you don't have the sff tools from Roche/454 (which I presume you don't as they're not freely distributed), use sff_extract http://bioinf.comav.upv.es/sff_extract/index.html from Jose.

B.

Comment

Originally posted by BaCh View Post
        If you don't have the sff tools from Roche/454 (which I presume you don't as they're not freely distributed), use ...
        It is also worth asking your sequencing center if they can give you a copy of the Roche Newbler tools:
        Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

Comment

Thank you for these pieces of advice, I will try all of these ...

Comment

I have used two types of files: sff and fasta. But results are different, is it normal?
            Best is sff or fasta file??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gstitan View Post
              I have used two types of files: sff and fasta. But results are different, is it normal?
              Best is sff or fasta file??

Thanks
              SFF files contain the sequence, quality scores, adaptor clipping and flow information.

FASTA files just contain sequence information (and sometimes mixed case is used to show adaptor clipping).

If you are using Newbler, use the SFF file. There is no other way to provide the Roche 454 flow information.

Comment

SFF is better because it contains the quality information about your samples. FASTA files are more popular and smaller (and therefore easy to work with).
                To process your SFF files (graphic visualization, conversion, etc) you can use SFF Workbench. The bad news is that the tool is for Windows. The good news is that it has a very nice and easy to use graphic interface.

It is actually the only tool that allows you to visualize your samples (quality scores, end trimming, etc) right from the SFF file with a single click.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses