No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sort with sfffile/sffinfo...

Hey all!
    I've got an unusual request. I want to be able to access just the reads that do not match any barcodes. I can easily sort reads into .sffs based on barcodes, but I want to look at the reads that don't match any barcodes. Is there a way to do that?
    Thank you!!

You could split your .sff file by MID, then use sffinfo with -a to output just the accession numbers from each of the resulting .sff files and the original .sff file. Then use the lists from the split files to subtract from the list from the original file. There are probably several ways to do that, but a simple one would be to just put all of the lists into one column in Excel and use the "remove duplicates" function. Finally, use that list with the -i option of sfffile to get a .sff file with just those.

Now that I think about it, you could just combine all of the accession number lists from the split files and use that list with the -e option of sfffile. That's a bit simpler.

Comment

Thank you! I'll give that a try.

Comment

Hi Anthony, I did this a year or so ago, and the Fastx toolkit can do what you want. The barcode splitter in that toolkit puts the unmatched reads into a separate file. I have in my notes that the key was figuring out that the 454 .fna file isn’t really fasta format. You may have to use "fasta formatter" first. No guarantee, but I hope this helps.

Comment

Have you realized that a read in a dataset seemingly lacking a MID in a datasets of just *all* MID-tagged reads means you or the software failed to identify the MID? ;-) At least you should throw away the first 4+10 or 4+11 nt from your reads (provided you speak about reads on the left end, right after the sequencing key).

Did you use RapidLibrary protocol or one of those with GSMIDs/TiMIDs? If Rapid, then mask also the rcRLMIDs somewhere on the right side of each read. Or was that a multiplexing setup with different TiMIDs/GSMIDs on each side? Then treat it same way like when RapidLib was involved.

Finally to say, if you sequenced beads with some MID-tagged samples and some without MID tags then the above still does apply. Rather throw away the nucleotides where a MID, possibly masked due to sequencing errors, might reside. And next time separate the samples into different regions. ;-)

In brief, just don't do this next time, that is my best advice, really.

Comment

I actually ran across what is probably the simplest way to do this a couple of days ago. This option is not in the documentation for some reason, but you can get it if you call up the sfffile help at the command line. If you do that, you will see the -umid option, which allows you to specify a name under which to report all reads that don't match any of the specified MIDs. So, forget all that list stuff, just add in -umid <name> to the options list when you use sfffile and it's done.

Comment

Number6, I'll look into that. That could be helpful.

Martin2, I think you misunderstood the question. I want to be able to look at reads that don't sort to any barcode. It doesn't matter how they were prepared. And, no, I did not mix MID-tagged with non-tagged samples. I can't imagine how that would be useful...is that what you were referring to in that last line?

aj, you're using a newer software version than I, I'm afraid...that option doesn't seem to be available in 2.5.3. Someday we'll get upgraded.

Comment

Ah, yes. I do have 2.8. I don't know when this option showed up, but there have been several versions between 2.5.3 and 2.8, so it's hard to say.

You might want to talk to your FAS about getting a newer version. In my experience, it doesn't take any more than an email and they'll send you a link to download it. The latest versions, 2.7 (Jr.) and 2.8 (FLX), have some new options and features in the analysis programs that might be useful to you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses