No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsAssembler:

Hi guys,

I have been provided with two 454 sequencing de novo assemblies, which were created with Newbler 2.3. We do plan to reassemble the reads on our own as soon as we get access to a PC powerful enough, but in the mean time I was hoping to have a look at the flowgrams for our reads.

It is my understanding that I'll be able to see the flowgrams for each read if I open up the assembly project in gsAssembler. I don't know of any other way to view the flowgrams (although I have extracted the .flow file with sffinfo, I just don't know of any programs that will show it me in graph form). If there are other programs out there that can show me that data, please let me know.

However, I have installed the Roche 2.8 data analysis programs on my laptop (Ubuntu 12.10) and receive the following error when I open the projects:

Unable to launch back-end programs to read alignment results.
    This usually occurs if the project is in use by another instance of the program, if a computation of the project is being run from the command line, or if one or more of the project's read files have been moved from their original locations.
    If that is not the case, then some data indices may be in an inconsistent state.
    Performing a full (non-incremental) analysis may remedy the situation.
    If not, please report this error to your customer support representative.
    At this point, the alignment files and flowgram tabs are greyed out, although the other tabs display as expected.

The read files have been moved in the sense that the entire working directory assembly has been moved to this computer, although as far as I'm aware the structure within that directory is the same. (I have no way of knowing, however).

I did search google already, and it was suggested that not having read/write permissions for the assembly directory might be the problem. However, I ensured that I did have that permission for the assembly directory and it did not solve the problem.

So, is there any way for me to fix this problem without reassembling the data? I'm doing this on my own personal laptop, so reassembling is out of the question.
    Last edited by Arthis; 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM.

Okay, it looks like all you need to do is edit 454AssemblyProject.xml and alter the two <path> fields to point to the new location of the assembly directory and the new location of the .sff file.

Comment

Does anyone know if it is possible to view the flowgram for the entire read, rather than just the trimmed read?

I know that, inside the .sff file, each read begins and ends with lowercase letters that fall below a specific quality threshold. I was hoping to look at the flowgram of the uppercase and lowercase regions to see how they compare. When I checked out the flowgram in for a read in my assembly, it only shows the trimmed read with the uppercase letters.

Comment

Also, does anyone know exactly how the low quality ends are determined by the 454 machine?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses