No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sff 454 files into fasta

Dear users, I have question:

I am trying to convert a .sff 454 file into fasta, using sff_extract in python2.3.4 that includes Biophyton-1.49. I have used the following command:

$ python sff_extract my_file.sff

and this results in a syntax error:

File "sff_extract", line 405

qual_line = ' '.join((str(q) for q in qual))

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Does anyone could suggest what's wrong?

Thank you in advance

P.R.

That looks to me like some Python syntax requiring Python 2.4 or later. You could change this:

qual_line = ' '.join((str(q) for q in qual))

to:

qual_line = ' '.join([str(q) for q in qual])

but there are probably going to be more issues. I would urge you to update to Python 2.6, Python 2.5 or Python 2.4 (in that order of preference assuming you have no other constraints).

You mentioned Biopython 1.49. You should update (e.g. for FASTQ support). However, the more recent releases also required Python 2.4 or later.

Also, although there is SFF in the pipeline for Biopython is isn't included as yet (i.e. it is not even in the brand new Biopython 1.53 released yesterday). Its on a branch on github, but if you (or anyone else) would like to help test it I am confident we can have this in the next release of Biopython.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
      You mentioned Biopython 1.49. You should update (e.g. for FASTQ support). However, the more recent releases also required Python 2.4 or later.

Also, although there is SFF in the pipeline for Biopython is isn't included as yet (i.e. it is not even in the brand new Biopython 1.53 released yesterday). Its on a branch on github, but if you (or anyone else) would like to help test it I am confident we can have this in the next release of Biopython.
      In case anyone is interested, the SFF support has been merged into the Biopython main branch, and should be included with our next release (Biopython 1.54). Anyone interested in testing it before then can grab the code from our repository.

Comment

I know it wont help if you are setting up something very customized, but for just extracting the sequences sffinfo -s should do the trick.

And its included in the recent 2.3 software.

Comment

Yeah, if you have the Roche Linux only tools, sffinfo does offer SFF to FASTA (or QUAL, with or without trimming). It was there in v2.0 as well, and I expect in v1 too. See also this thread for getting the tools:
          Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses