Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLX+ and amplicons

Good afternoon all. I understand there are people out there now using the FLX+ with amplicons (which is now fully supported by 454 / Roche). We are contemplating an upgrade from FLX to FLX+ but would appreciate some feedback.

1. How big are your read lengths?
    2. Do you calculate an error rate and have you tracked between FLX and FLX+
    3. I'm looking over the protocols now, but are there any significant difference in the sequencing methods between FLX and FLX+?
    4. We are looking at 16S. What regions are people using on the FLX+ if also sequencing 16S?
    5. General thoughts or opinions about FLX+ / amplicons?

Thank you. You can either reply to this thread or email me directly: Sue Foltin@ [email protected]

My thoughts on amplicon studies are to avoid 454 and go straight to MiSeq.
    Illumina data is cheaper and less error prone.

Comment

We have a MiSeq... but we need to read across larger regions.

Comment

Sue,

We recently upgraded to FLX+ but haven't carried out any runs other than test runs with control beads. I can tell you that the upgrade went smoothly, was performed on site in about 3 days, including the test run. There is a change in the hardware, but the system is backward compatible in case you still have old sequencing kits that you want to utilize. The protocols change a little, but not significantly. Also, there is an additional maintenance step required every 3 months (replacement of some tubing). And of course, the runs and processing take longer.

We likely will do 16S eventually, but the first thing we're going try is a shotgun library, prepared by restriction enzyme digestion and genome reduction. We will be doing 700-800 bp COI amplicons soon as well. I can keep you informed if you'd like.

Barry

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses