No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired-end & shotgun reads

Hi there

Can anyone help me with this conundrum? Roche state in a flyer that you should be able to sequence E. coli (~4mb) using only the 8kb paired-end protocol to 20x coverage on a 1/4 plate, suggesting you can get 320mb of data from an entire run/picotiterplate.

However, the table in Roche technical bulletin TCB-09008 seems to suggest you only get 100mb per run when using the 8kb-library.

Can anyone guide as to the reason for the discrepancy?

Cheers

Nick.

Nick,

Yes, that bulletin does seem a bit confusing. But my read on that whole section is that they want you to prepare several different PE libraries from the same starting material and collect a limited amount of sequence from each of those libraries to avoid oversampling a single library. I interpret the 100Mbp number as the amount of data you should collect from any single 8kbp span library, not how much a run would produce. They do say in that section that for small genomes (<5Mbp) a single 8kbp library is sufficient to yield enough data.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
      Nick,

Yes, that bulletin does seem a bit confusing. But my read on that whole section is that they want you to prepare several different PE libraries from the same starting material and collect a limited amount of sequence from each of those libraries to avoid oversampling a single library. I interpret the 100Mbp number as the amount of data you should collect from any single 8kbp span library, not how much a run would produce. They do say in that section that for small genomes (<5Mbp) a single 8kbp library is sufficient to yield enough data.
      Thanks. Makes sense. So should I assume that a plate of 8kb paired-end produces the same number of reads as a standard WGS run? I realise throughput will be down a bit because of having to sequence the linker each time.

Comment

Originally posted by nickloman View Post
        Thanks. Makes sense. So should I assume that a plate of 8kb paired-end produces the same number of reads as a standard WGS run? I realise throughput will be down a bit because of having to sequence the linker each time.
        Hi,

I think your assumption is correct. You'd have the same number of reads, just less sequence of interest due to the linkers.

Just curious if you've already done the 8Kb libraries for the small genome and if so, how'd it go?

Comment

We're preparing a library at the moment and hope to run it this month, so I'll report back when we get the results ...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses