No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 assembly of repetitive region

Hello,

I have been given a set of 454 data which was assembled using newbler. It is a repetitive region from a relative of grape, with lots of transposons.
    The current assembly has misassemblies due to the repeats, and I'd like take the original reads, clean them up and reassemble.

There are about 40000 reads from 454 and maybe 2000 reads from Sanger sequencing of the two BACs that cover this region, where I might be able to use paired sequence information. I'm told by the sequencing facility there is no paired sequence information to take advantage of with 454 data.

I was thinking about trying to use RepeatMasker with the known vectors and plant repeat database and then using CAP3 or PCAP to assemble the result.

(1) Does anyone know which of the publicly available assembly engines works best on 454 data?
    (2) If you recommend using CAP3, which parameter settings would you modify from the default and what values would you use?
    (3) Are there any other sequence cleaning utilities you'd recommend?
    (4) When using RepeatMasker, is the cross_match engine better, or would you use RMblast?

Thanks,
    Steph

In your's case I would suggest using phrap or celera, and rising the minmatch value to 25-40. The standard phredPhrap will need some serious tweaking. (especially on the sff import side).

Also make yourself a draft assembly blast database (for repeats borders identification), and extract repeats sequences from draft fasta or ace file, then use them as "vector" sequence (if you want to blank it out).
    I don't recommend newbler assembly for such blast DB - newbler usually clips off repeats borders at the consensus level.

Let me know, If you need any more help.
    Last edited by Markiyan; 09-22-2010, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses