Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• launching gsAssembler in Fedora

I have installed the off-rig Application software on a computer running RedHat 5 and have had no problems launching the gsAssembler from the command line. I have just installed the off-rig software on a machine running Fedora 10 and I cannot launch the gsAssembler application. It seems to be an issue with Java. Has anyone had this problem? Is anyone running the off-rig software on a non-Redhat machine?

Hi,
    I had a similar problem using fedora, the way i got it to work was to, set a couple of paths to the software, depending on what version you are using the paths will be different.

Version 1.X

Assuming you've installed it the way the install files says to do it, specifically you've setup the /usr/local/rig directory.

At the linux prompt, i'm using the bash shell, type:
    >PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/rig/bin
    >RIGDIR=/usr/local/rig
    >export PATH
    >export RIGDIR
    >gsAssembler or any other program

Version 2.X
    You need to set the path to where the 454 directory was created/installed, so in my case, i installed it in my home directory.

NB. The Bash shell was used...

>export PATH=$PATH:/home/Raju/454/bin
    >gsAssembler or any other program

Comment

Thanks Raj but I have already added the path to the bash_profile. My problem seems to be an issue with java. When I attempt to launch the gsAssembler command I get the following error:

/home/imac/454/apps/assembly/bin/gsAssembler: line 124: /home/imac/454/apps/assembly//jre/jre1.5.0_07/bin/java: cannot execute binary file

I am stuck at this point.

Comment

I'm also using Fedora 10, in the 454 directory, if i run the application e.g. gsMapper from the directory 454/bin the GUI boots up.

If i go to via the apps directory, I get the command line version.

I used to get the java error in earlier versions of offinst., but i found that the software couldn't find the appropriate directories, hence the setting the paths specifically as well ensuring i had full permissions when i did the install i.e. >sudo ./INSTALL

I'm guessing your running version 2.X, which shouldn't be a problem in fedora. I didn't get the java error, in version 2... all i did, was go to my home dir, unzipped/tar the program and install.

If i think of anything else.. i'll post it here....

Comment

I have a slightly different problem when trying to run gs Assembler on Ubuntu. I get the following error

path/apps/assembly/bin/gsAssembler: 114: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

any ideas?

Comment

Hi to all. I have the same problem now and have no idea how to overcome it. Fedora 10, 32x, Roche soft 2.X version installed under root. I can launch gsAssembler, but can´t start the run. Error: /opt/454/bin/createProject: cannot execute binary file
            I added path already... Installed java
            Can anyone help, please?

Comment

Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Same Problem as coldturkey
              /opt/454/apps/assembly/bin/gsAssembler: 114: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Most likely reason:
              On Ubuntu the .rpm files are not installed! The GUI needs some of them. I will just stick to the command line version... But there is also a tool to convert .rpm to something ubuntu can use.

Comment

Since that part of the code pertains to finding jre1 and then setting a variable to the found location, I suggest just hard-coding the location into the code. You may be running into problems with incompatible shells or even 'find' commands.

Comment

GS Assembler on Fedora

Hi All,
                  The GS FLX software versions 1 and 2 will work on Fedora 10 and 11 but *only* with the 32-bit version using the standard bash.rc entries, i.e., export rigdir and export path. I presume that you've set up the 64-bit version.

A better alternative is CentOS, both 32- and 64-bit versions - CentOS is currently at version 5.3.

Note of caution: In my experience, doing GS assemblies on different Red Hat lineage systems will differ even with the *same data set*! For example, Fedora 10 generated 148 contigs, Fedora 11 (148), CentOS 5.2 (149) - all with the same data set and parameters. The missing contig appeared to be a misassembly.

Bottom line: Whatever system you are working with, stick to the data you obtain because you may not repeat elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Linux guru (not by any stretch of the imagination), but I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the GS software working. No, it does not work on systems of Debian lineage - generates the syntax error - the problem is in the run script, I think.

Comment

Syntax error: "(" unexpected [Debian and Ubuntu]

Hello everyone,

a very simple fix to the following error:

change the first line of the two following files from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash (or any other path to your bash interpreter):

$rootdir/apps/assembly/bin/gsAssembler
                    $rootdir/apps/mapper/bin/gsMapper

This will get the GUI of both gsMapper and gsAssembler to work smoothly on Debian/Ubuntu systems (possibly also on other systems presenting the [Syntax error: "(" unexpected] error at launching).

Cheers,
                    Leo.

Comment

The roche software is really funny, ... using jar,rpm,tar.gz for installations, alle mixed, suppressing any erros and the scripts are really, hmmm, ugly?

I have "successfully" installed the off-rig software on our home-made linux system; there
                      was not one binary installed :-) They use very funny ways extracting RPMs for installation ... and change these methods from time to time ..

sigh,
                      Sven

Comment

Originally posted by hengnck View Post
                        Hi All,
                        The GS FLX software versions 1 and 2 will work on Fedora 10 and 11 but *only* with the 32-bit version using the standard bash.rc entries, i.e., export rigdir and export path. I presume that you've set up the 64-bit version.

A better alternative is CentOS, both 32- and 64-bit versions - CentOS is currently at version 5.3.
                        I tried CentOS, but had the same problems that I did with Red Hat--video drivers didn't work properly, wireless didn't work, couldn't mount NTFS partition, etc.--so I installed Fedora 11. The FLX software ran fine under the 32-bit version, but not 64-bit. The problem is that Java is in a different place under 64-bit, and the FLX software looks for Java where it is in the 32-bit version. I did a bit of research on my own and got half-way there, then the tech support people sent me this solution:
                        install the GS FLX 2.0.01 64 Bit off-instrument software and then

sudo yum install zlib.i386 libXi.i386 libXtst.i386 libXaw.i386

this will install the necessary 32-bit options
                        I had to change the .i386 to .i586 to get it to work, but in the end it worked just fine.

Comment

Another question about installing gsAssembler on Ubuntu

Originally posted by palmeira View Post
                          Hello everyone,

a very simple fix to the following error:

change the first line of the two following files from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash (or any other path to your bash interpreter):

$rootdir/apps/assembly/bin/gsAssembler
                          $rootdir/apps/mapper/bin/gsMapper

This will get the GUI of both gsMapper and gsAssembler to work smoothly on Debian/Ubuntu systems (possibly also on other systems presenting the [Syntax error: "(" unexpected] error at launching).

Cheers,
                          Leo.
                          Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I was wondering if anyone would have an answer to a question related to this.
                          I am trying to install gsAssembler on Ubuntu. After installing with sudo rights to opt/454 I got the error described above. Then I made the change Leo suggested (bin/sh --> bin/bash) and that fixed the error
                          BUT
                          Now when gsAssembler loads the GUI is blank. I mean, I can see the window but none of the icons are visible, I think they are there because if I move my mouse pointer around it changes from arrow to hand at certain places. But I can't see what I'm clicking.
                          I tried using alien to install the rpm files on my installation cd and was able to install all but one. gsSupportTool-1.16.02-1.i386.rpm would not extract and install. Installing the other rpm files did not fix the blank GUI.
                          Any help would really be appreciated!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses