Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PabloMarin-Garcia
    replied
    illumina recomendation for index selection

    Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
    It's funny, I found this on the internet some time ago and follow it but Illumina hasn't followed up on it so I just assumed it wasn't a problem. Apparently, it can be. Which leads one to ask, why is this not mentioned in any of the library preparation manuals.
    They explain here for nextera:
    http://www.illumina.com/documents/pr...guidelines.pdf

    Leave a comment:


  • TonyBrooks
    replied
    On a related note; I have a bunch of indexes (The Sanger 96-plex ones) that I'd like to use for low plexing too (4plex). These indexes are 8 bases long. Is there anything stopping just reading the first 6 bases (as per standard illumina indexing) on the GAIIx/HiSeq as long as there is AC/GT balance at all 6 positions? I only want to do this on one lane, so don't need to read 8 cycles on the other 7 lanes.

    Leave a comment:


  • HESmith
    replied
    Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0016607

    With a 5' index you have the invariant T required for adapter ligation in all libraries. I guess it doesn't cause too much of a problem because people use this strategy, but it is something to think about nonetheless. Has this caused problems for anyone?
    I assume you mean barcodes that are part of the adapter. Unless your index is only three bases long, you should be okay (but I haven't done the experiment). You could also resolve the problem by using indices of different length so the T is phase-shifted, and balance the other nucleotides for that cycle.

    Leave a comment:


  • kentk
    replied
    Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0016607
    With a 5' index you have the invariant T required for adapter ligation in all libraries. I guess it doesn't cause too much of a problem because people use this strategy, but it is something to think about nonetheless. Has this caused problems for anyone?
    Article looks interesting. I'll have to read it through first. Thanks again ETHANol

    You mean the T for the T-A ligation right? No I don't think it's a problem because that T (or actually its complement A) anneals to the last base of the sequencing primer so essentially it's not part of the read

    Leave a comment:


  • HESmith
    replied
    Originally posted by kentk View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes I was planning to introduce a 5' index. Being able to multiplex only at multiples of 4 isn't a problem. Just need to multiplex into the hundreds.

    I think I've read the same post by pmiguel mentioning index reads should always contain a A/C and G/T at each position that is why I was curious why all bases should be in equal proportion.
    There's a distinction b/t the Illumina index read (which is separate) vs. barcodes that are incorporated at the start of your insert. In addition to cluster calling, I believe that the measured signal intensities for the first four cycles are used to calibrate values that are utilized for the remainder of the run (e.g., signal-to-noise), which would obviously affect the data if the bases are not equally represented in those cycles.

    For the index read, A/C vs. G/T is usually sufficient to discriminate between a small number of barcodes.

    Harold

    Harold

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied
    Thanks Harold!

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied


    With a 5' index you have the invariant T required for adapter ligation in all libraries. I guess it doesn't cause too much of a problem because people use this strategy, but it is something to think about nonetheless. Has this caused problems for anyone?

    Leave a comment:


  • HESmith
    replied
    Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
    HESmith, Thanks for the correction. I'm curious here. How do you determine that the indices are called incorrectly? How do I go about performing QC on the index read?
    I examined the frequencies of different indices in the Undetermined directory. The most common were one-base mismatches with the correct indices (we required perfect matches for demultiplexing), but there were nearly as many with two or more mismatches. Also, there were some pseudotiles with all Ns in the index despite high quality insert reads. Note that we observed this problem only at very high cluster densities.

    You can use SAV or HCS to visualize the Q-scores for the index cycles. They are usually a bit lower than read one; if they're a lot lower, be concerned. A high fraction (>3-4%) of reads in the Undetermined directory is another indication of poor index reads.

    Harold

    Leave a comment:


  • kentk
    replied
    Thanks guys. Yes I was planning to introduce a 5' index. Being able to multiplex only at multiples of 4 isn't a problem. Just need to multiplex into the hundreds.

    I think I've read the same post by pmiguel mentioning index reads should always contain a A/C and G/T at each position that is why I was curious why all bases should be in equal proportion.

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied
    It's funny, I found this on the internet some time ago and follow it but Illumina hasn't followed up on it so I just assumed it wasn't a problem. Apparently, it can be. Which leads one to ask, why is this not mentioned in any of the library preparation manuals.

    I think pmiguel has said that base balanced base composition for the index read is important on the HiScan.


    1. Some sequencing experiments require the use of fewer than 12 index sequences in a lane with a high cluster density. In such cases, select indexes carefully to ensure optimum base calling and demultiplexing by having different bases at each cycle of the index read. Illumina recommends the following sets of indexes for low-level pooling experiments.
    Pool of 2 samples:
    • Index #6 GCCAAT • Index #12 CTTGTA

    Pool of 3 samples:
    • Index #4 TGACCA • Index #6 GCCAAT • Index #12 CTTGTA

    Pool of 6 samples: • Index #2 CGATGT • Index #4 TGACCA • Index #5 ACAGTG • Index #6 GCCAAT • Index #7 CAGATC • Index #12 CTTGTA

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied
    HESmith, Thanks for the correction. I'm curious here. How do you determine that the indices are called incorrectly? How do I go about performing QC on the index read?

    Leave a comment:


  • HESmith
    replied
    Actually, ETHANol's statement is not 100% accurate. On the HiSeq, high cluster densities (900-1000K) have a more deleterious effect on index reads than inserts. We've had several flow cells with good cluster calling (80-90% PF) and high quality scores (mean ~38), yet fewer than 50% of the indices were called accurately. In some cases, pseudotiles at the inflow side (which contain higher cluster densities) have completely dropped out (i.e., no basecalling) during the index read after producing high-quality insert reads. The problem can be mitigated by balancing the ratio of index bases that are excited by the same laser (A/C or G/T).

    If your second index is at the start of read one, then you absolutely have to use all four bases in roughly equal proportions for the first four cycles (which is when cluster calling occurs).

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied
    On the HiSeq, you need balance nucleotide composition at the beginning of the sequencing read but not the barcode read. Otherwise you could only multiplex in multiples of four. Which was one of the drawbacks of putting the barcode at the beginning of the sequencing read. Maybe the MiSeq is more picky about the barcode read, I don't know.

    Leave a comment:


  • kentk
    replied
    Yes I should maximize hamming distance.
    But for example I have 4 indexes...

    5' ATGCAT
    5' TGAACG
    5' GCTGTC
    5' AGCTGC

    An Illumina representative mentioned that I can't use that index set because the first, second and last bases will not have all of the four bases. So one the flowcell for base 1, I'll have signals for A, T, G clusters but not for C so our machine (MiSeq) will trash that cycle. Well this is what I understood from our conversation.

    Any thoughts?

    Leave a comment:


  • ETHANol
    replied
    Not really sure if I am getting what you are saying but it's best to keep all the hamming distance >1 for all the barcodes.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    09-28-2026, 10:25 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
0 responses
36 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
36 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...