No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low number of reads from Miseq runs

Hi all,

I'm trying to perform guide-seq protocol (https://www.protocols.io/view/guide-...xygxmwool8j/v1) using 293T cells.
    The library prep steps are intuitive: gDNA extraction, fragmentation, end-repair, TA adapter ligation, PCR1, and PCR2. The thing that puzzled me is that I always got very few reads from my experiment (2K-200K reads) from the Mi-seq run. Tapestation for PCR2 product showed a good size range of library DNA (tho the average length of library is ~1kb, a bit big; see pic). So far, I ruled out the possibility of incomplete denaturation (my colleague's samples are pooled together with mine in the same run, he got good amount of reads). What else could be contributing to this? Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	322410

Hello there,

1) Are you and your colleague using the same library kit? If not, that could cause an issue. Whenever you pool different library prep kits it's very difficult to evenly pool together both libraries. They have different sizes and slightly different chemistries that always make it too difficult to make things even. I suggest pooling only libraries made with the same prep whenever you're able.

2) If you are both using the same library kit, what are the sizes of your colleague's library? If they are smaller than your library then they will get more reads if everything was pooled evening. Shorter libraries preferentially bind to the flow cell. This also applies to small fragments, so hopefully your colleague's samples were clean.

3) If you used the same library prep kit and you had similar sizes, then there's a slight possibility that they were not pooled evening. Can you briefly explain how you pooled your samples?

Feel free to include any other information about combining their preps and I can give additional suggestions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses