Seqanswers Leaderboard Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avalanche and Ion Chef



    Anyone know how these work?

  • #2
    Wow, if the PIII chip really can deliver 256Gb of sequence data with 'just minutes of hands on time' it will be serious competition for the HiSeq. But since we haven't even seen the PII chip yet I wonder how much of that is just speculative hype to ramp up early sales...

    I think my lab is getting a proton so I hope they can deliver.

    Comment


    • #3
      P3 chip has been in the cards for eternity. Just look at the seminal article talking about die sizes and feature counts. 1.2B features was named year(s) ago.

      As for Avalanche, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Wildfire on Ion. I'd be interested to know if it is still bead-based, however.

      Ion Chef - if you have been on the community, you've seen some cool videos of people automating chip loading. It's just an expansion of what's already out there.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am pretty sure I was told the Proton would launch with 400 bp reads. Can anyone confirm? I'm disappointed they don't go beyond 100 and 200 bp...

        Comment


        • #5
          I've written up some notes and thoughts on the announcement here:



          Lex: When it was announced at AGBT we did the maths on sensors vs throughput and speculated they were targeting 200-250 bases. Most of the marketing literature has since said 200. Not sure I ever heard 400 bases mentioned as a target for Proton.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by flxlex View Post
            I am pretty sure I was told the Proton would launch with 400 bp reads. Can anyone confirm? I'm disappointed they don't go beyond 100 and 200 bp...
            You are probably linking two separate things which have similar launch dates. Proton is "second half" and 400 bp is "before year end". Personally, I'd rather have a machine with a 10, 100, 1000 G spec on 100 or 200 bp so it'll pump out more data with better/longer chemistries.

            If you are specifically looking for 100% 454 replacement, then I understand where you are coming from.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MrGuy View Post
              As for Avalanche, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Wildfire on Ion. I'd be interested to know if it is still bead-based, however.
              The press release said it will work for all Ion platforms. Guess that implies beads.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by flxlex View Post
                I am pretty sure I was told the Proton would launch with 400 bp reads. Can anyone confirm? I'm disappointed they don't go beyond 100 and 200 bp...
                400 bp have been announced for 2012 and they already realease one dataset that looks pretty impressive. No word of when the kit is going to be available exactly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Avalanche seems exciting. Plus, it is out now. Hope to see some user reports soon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by steinmann View Post
                    The press release said it will work for all Ion platforms. Guess that implies beads.
                    They said the Ion Chef would work for all Ion platforms, not Avalanche. Different things.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by steinmann View Post
                      400 bp have been announced for 2012 and they already realease one dataset that looks pretty impressive. No word of when the kit is going to be available exactly.
                      They announced 400 bp for PGM, not Proton and it's supposed to be by the end of the year. 300 bp for PGM is available.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ymc View Post
                        Avalanche seems exciting. Plus, it is out now. Hope to see some user reports soon.
                        Avalanche isn't out now, it's only mentioned as an enabling technology for the PIII chip which is supposed to be 18 months away.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nickloman View Post
                          Avalanche isn't out now, it's only mentioned as an enabling technology for the PIII chip which is supposed to be 18 months away.
                          Well they are going to let the cat out of the bag ....9th October 2012
                          "Mutation Detection and Exome Sequencing Using Wildfire and Ion PGM® Technology" Gijs van Haaften PhD, Netherlands Cancer Institute

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DICER View Post
                            Well they are going to let the cat out of the bag ....9th October 2012
                            "Mutation Detection and Exome Sequencing Using Wildfire and Ion PGM® Technology" Gijs van Haaften PhD, Netherlands Cancer Institute
                            Where did you find this, and is there a description of this presentation? They could be using both Wildfire and Ion Torrent PGM Technology, or Wildfire with Ion PGM technology, based on the wording of the title.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This appears to be from an Ion Torrent workshop in Russia and my guess is the former (describing both Wildfire and PGM, but not the two working together).

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin


                                The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                                Today, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin


                                Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              37 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses
                              41 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 09:21 AM
                              0 responses
                              35 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-04-2024, 09:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              54 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Working...
                              X