No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalanche and Ion Chef

Anyone know how these work?

Wow, if the PIII chip really can deliver 256Gb of sequence data with 'just minutes of hands on time' it will be serious competition for the HiSeq. But since we haven't even seen the PII chip yet I wonder how much of that is just speculative hype to ramp up early sales...

I think my lab is getting a proton so I hope they can deliver.

Comment

P3 chip has been in the cards for eternity. Just look at the seminal article talking about die sizes and feature counts. 1.2B features was named year(s) ago.

As for Avalanche, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Wildfire on Ion. I'd be interested to know if it is still bead-based, however.

Ion Chef - if you have been on the community, you've seen some cool videos of people automating chip loading. It's just an expansion of what's already out there.

Comment

I am pretty sure I was told the Proton would launch with 400 bp reads. Can anyone confirm? I'm disappointed they don't go beyond 100 and 200 bp...

Comment

I've written up some notes and thoughts on the announcement here:

Lex: When it was announced at AGBT we did the maths on sensors vs throughput and speculated they were targeting 200-250 bases. Most of the marketing literature has since said 200. Not sure I ever heard 400 bases mentioned as a target for Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
            I am pretty sure I was told the Proton would launch with 400 bp reads. Can anyone confirm? I'm disappointed they don't go beyond 100 and 200 bp...
            You are probably linking two separate things which have similar launch dates. Proton is "second half" and 400 bp is "before year end". Personally, I'd rather have a machine with a 10, 100, 1000 G spec on 100 or 200 bp so it'll pump out more data with better/longer chemistries.

If you are specifically looking for 100% 454 replacement, then I understand where you are coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGuy View Post
              As for Avalanche, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Wildfire on Ion. I'd be interested to know if it is still bead-based, however.
              The press release said it will work for all Ion platforms. Guess that implies beads.

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
                400 bp have been announced for 2012 and they already realease one dataset that looks pretty impressive. No word of when the kit is going to be available exactly.

Comment

Avalanche seems exciting. Plus, it is out now. Hope to see some user reports soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steinmann View Post
                    The press release said it will work for all Ion platforms. Guess that implies beads.
                    They said the Ion Chef would work for all Ion platforms, not Avalanche. Different things.

Comment

Originally posted by steinmann View Post
                      400 bp have been announced for 2012 and they already realease one dataset that looks pretty impressive. No word of when the kit is going to be available exactly.
                      They announced 400 bp for PGM, not Proton and it's supposed to be by the end of the year. 300 bp for PGM is available.

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post
                        Avalanche seems exciting. Plus, it is out now. Hope to see some user reports soon.
                        Avalanche isn't out now, it's only mentioned as an enabling technology for the PIII chip which is supposed to be 18 months away.

Comment

Originally posted by nickloman View Post
                          Avalanche isn't out now, it's only mentioned as an enabling technology for the PIII chip which is supposed to be 18 months away.
                          Well they are going to let the cat out of the bag ....9th October 2012
                          "Mutation Detection and Exome Sequencing Using Wildfire and Ion PGM® Technology" Gijs van Haaften PhD, Netherlands Cancer Institute

Comment

Originally posted by DICER View Post
                            Well they are going to let the cat out of the bag ....9th October 2012
                            "Mutation Detection and Exome Sequencing Using Wildfire and Ion PGM® Technology" Gijs van Haaften PhD, Netherlands Cancer Institute
                            Where did you find this, and is there a description of this presentation? They could be using both Wildfire and Ion Torrent PGM Technology, or Wildfire with Ion PGM technology, based on the wording of the title.

Comment

This appears to be from an Ion Torrent workshop in Russia and my guess is the former (describing both Wildfire and PGM, but not the two working together).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses