Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifescope -- results compared to Bioscope

After getting the license problems fixed (see my other post) and learning about the new Lifescope CLI and GUI (more on this later), I was finally able to process two recent Bioscope (BS) runs via Lifescope (LS). The results are mixed however this may due to the types of runs -- neither is 'perfect' -- which makes the "truth" a slippery subject.

The first project is an E.coli-based paired-end (50/35 bp) whole-transcriptome project with filtering against an rRNA database. The sample had a lot of rRNA in it with a consequent low mapping rate to the transcriptome.

The second is Honeybee-based 50bp fragment sequencing without filtering.

As far as mapping and the E. coli project, there were about 5% more reads mapped with Lifescope however about 20% fewer 'properly paired' reads and many more singletons. I am not sure why this is so. Perhaps the rRNA filtering?

For mapping and honeybee, the total number mapped reads for Lifescope vs. Bioscope were within 0.1% of each other.

As far as the interesting-to-the-customer results, for E. coli WT the interesting results are the tag counts of the exons. Lifescope consistently had the same or lower counts than Bioscope. Part of this may be due to 20% fewer paired reads and part of this may be due to Lifescope taking mapping qualities into account. In any case the consistency of the numbers was good -- I would have not liked to see wild swings between LS and BS.

For the honeybee project, the most interesting results are SNPs and small InDels. Unfortunately our customer wanted SNPs called at the 'low stringency' cutoff which, in my opinion, causes a lot of false positives. And, of course, the honeybee genome is not 100% done which can cause additional problems. Bioscope came up with ~60,000 SNPS while Lifescope came up with only 30,000. Comparing the two there were about 22,000 of these SNPs in common. So it is hard to say which program is better.

Overall, as I said, the results are mixed. It is hard to say conclusively that Lifescope provides more accurate results than Bioscope. I really need to use projects that utilize model organisms with really clean data sets. Alas, in our line of work, these are few and far apart. I will post more if and when I get back to Lifescope in a non-production-let's-play-with-it moment. At the moment the new Casava (1.8) is calling to me. Then after that our SOLiD 5500 will be on-line and it will be back to production work for me.

Lifescope Result Error

I am working with next generation sequencing data(solid 5500).
    I am using Lifescope for the analysis but having some problems getting the results.
    working with human as well as mouse data as I run the data I get an error message:
    1) whole transcriptome fragment mapping:28624271 reads at a maximum of 150000000 reads per job will exceed the maximum number of jobs(100).
    2) same answer I get if i do small RNA analysis.

can someone suggest me how to come out of this error...
    thanks

Comment

Since, as far as I know, Lifescope is a pay-for and supported-by ABI software then getting hold of ABI's tech support might provide a faster and more accurate answer. There do not seem to be many Lifescope messages on SeqAnswers. Or perhaps I am just not paying attention since I am no longer using Lifescope (nor working with any SOLiD data).

Comment

Originally posted by rimpi View Post
        I am working with next generation sequencing data(solid 5500).
        I am using Lifescope for the analysis but having some problems getting the results.
        working with human as well as mouse data as I run the data I get an error message:
        1) whole transcriptome fragment mapping:28624271 reads at a maximum of 150000000 reads per job will exceed the maximum number of jobs(100).
        2) same answer I get if i do small RNA analysis.

can someone suggest me how to come out of this error...
        thanks
        With the release of ver. 2.5 Lifescope is no longer a for fee application. However, if you are not an ABI SOLiD system client, I don't know how tech support works so you would have to check out their web site to see your options.

Do you have all the currennt PDF documentation for your version of LifeScope? If not, you really should get that and take some time to read it carefully.

For mapping, the maximum number of jobs is set as a parameter in your *.ini file. So for fragment mapping, you can add a line with "fragmap.max.number.of.jobs=xxxx" where xxxx is a number between 24 and 1000 (the default is 100).

Note though that setting also depends on the machine and resources you are running the mapping on. Another configuration setting is "mapping.memory" which I think defaults to 15Gb, but if you have more you should change that as with 15Gb most (well, mammalian anyway) reference genomes will have to be split up, thereby increasing even further the number of mapping jobs that must be run (and you risk getting poor mapping results anyway by using a split reference genome).

I run LifeScope 2.5.1 on a 4-compute node Penguin cluster with 24Gb of RAM per node. I set "mapping.memory=22" (note that on a cluster this is set up globally, along with other resource settings, in your install.conf file), but I have never had to increase the maximum number of jobs even with runs using 96 barcodes and many samples, so I suspect your problem may be memory limitations and LifeScope needing to split the reference genome?

Just what kind of machine are you doing this on, and how much RAM does it have? I have no experience running LifeScope on anything but Linux and a cluster configuration, so if you are running it on a windows workstation, I may be of no or little further help, sorry.
        Michael Black, Ph.D.
        ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses