No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• titanium vs standard chemistry for BAC assembly

Hi,
    I am planning to have a couple of BAC clones sequenced on a 454 and it looks like I have a choice between standard chemistry with a paired-end library, or titanium chemistry with no paired-ends. Does anyone have any experience with which option is likely to provide the better assembly? Does the longer read length with titanium chemistry out-weigh the disadvantage of not using paired-ends? The BAC clones are likely to have some regions of repetitive sequences, and they are from a reptile with no close relatives so there is no reference.
    -Hilary

Hilary,

My choice would be for the standard paired-end run. The additional read length of Titanium is unlikely to help span repetitive regions unless their lengths happens to fall in the range between the average read lengths of standard vs. Titanium (250 vs 450nt). I'm not saying that the paired-ends will close these gaps, they likely will not, but at least you will be able to orient the contigs. The other advantage of Titanium vs. standard, the amount of raw data, ~500Mbp vs ~100Mbp, is also not really useful in your case. You didn't say how big your BAC is but assuming it's a typical BAC even the standard chemistry is going to give you more coverage than you need. (In fact the assembly will likely be helped if you limit the amount of data you use by randomly selecting a subset of the raw reads; start by using a set of data equivalent to ~30X coverage.)

As an aside, Roche has just released the paired-end chemistry for Titanium (at least in the USA, don't know about NZ.) However they also strongly encourage users to attend training before working with the new kits so that may be a hold up as well.
    Last edited by kmcarr; 05-27-2009, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Hi,
      Our 454 facility isn't offering titanium paired ends commercially yet, and I don't know that my budget will stretch to it anyway, so I think I'll go with the standard paired ends for now.
      Thanks for the advice!
      Hilary

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
        Today, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses