Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • StopCodon
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 7

    #1

    Reference guided assembly

    Hi,

    What are some of the tools for reference guided assembly? I am trying to assemble a Eukaryotic genome around 800-1000MB in length. There is a closely related species genome available (about 70% of Illumina 100 bp reads from this genome align to the related species). I do not have a large RAM machine to do a true de novo assembly (my machine is about 24GB RAM). I have about 50x coverage from Illumina and SOLiD paired-end reads. MOSAIK seems to be one tool that claims to do this but I found zero citations to the MOSAIK publication for assembly.
  • Adjuvant
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 13

    #2
    I'm going through the process of trying to figure this out right now as well. I'm working with a prokaryotic genome that is 15 - 20% variable from the available reference genomes. I've looked at MOSAIK several times and have come to the conclusion that it's a problem of word-usage. The program is referred to alternatingly in its own documentation as an aligner and an assembler, but functionally it still only aligns to reference like bwa or novoalign and their ilk. The options for true hybrid reference-guided assembly seem to be EXTREMELY limited. There's Velvet's Columbus module, which I've worked with a bit. I'm also in the middle of trying to work through the method outlined in Schneeberger et al's paper which seems like it may have potential to successfully combine the benefits of alignment and assembly, but is a really long multi-step manual process and relies on some older tools (AMOScmp, for example). I'm about halfway through a work-through, so I can't tell you whether it's any better than pure de-novo or Velvet Columbus yet, but take a look and see whether it has the potential to help you.

    Comment

    • mht
      Member
      • May 2012
      • 23

      #3
      Hi,

      I was wondering if you've had any results from trying out both Velvet Columbus and the method from the paper? I'm looking to do some reference-based assembly and so would be nice to have this rough benchmarking information at hand.

      Thanks!

      Comment

      • upendra_35
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 102

        #4
        Originally posted by StopCodon View Post
        Hi,

        What are some of the tools for reference guided assembly? I am trying to assemble a Eukaryotic genome around 800-1000MB in length. There is a closely related species genome available (about 70% of Illumina 100 bp reads from this genome align to the related species). I do not have a large RAM machine to do a true de novo assembly (my machine is about 24GB RAM). I have about 50x coverage from Illumina and SOLiD paired-end reads. MOSAIK seems to be one tool that claims to do this but I found zero citations to the MOSAIK publication for assembly.
        Why not try Tophat/cufflinks pipeline for assembling transcripts based on your reference. I am currently doing that with good results

        Comment

        • mht
          Member
          • May 2012
          • 23

          #5
          Hi upendra_35,

          Any suggestions for genome assemblies? Not transcripts?

          thx

          Comment

          • pari_89
            Member
            • Apr 2013
            • 55

            #6
            Originally posted by mht View Post
            Hi upendra_35,

            Any suggestions for genome assemblies? Not transcripts?

            thx
            Hi, Newbler performs reference-guided assembly. I ran it from the command line. It is runMapper option.

            Hope this helps

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...