No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference guided assembly

Hi,

What are some of the tools for reference guided assembly? I am trying to assemble a Eukaryotic genome around 800-1000MB in length. There is a closely related species genome available (about 70% of Illumina 100 bp reads from this genome align to the related species). I do not have a large RAM machine to do a true de novo assembly (my machine is about 24GB RAM). I have about 50x coverage from Illumina and SOLiD paired-end reads. MOSAIK seems to be one tool that claims to do this but I found zero citations to the MOSAIK publication for assembly.

I'm going through the process of trying to figure this out right now as well. I'm working with a prokaryotic genome that is 15 - 20% variable from the available reference genomes. I've looked at MOSAIK several times and have come to the conclusion that it's a problem of word-usage. The program is referred to alternatingly in its own documentation as an aligner and an assembler, but functionally it still only aligns to reference like bwa or novoalign and their ilk. The options for true hybrid reference-guided assembly seem to be EXTREMELY limited. There's Velvet's Columbus module, which I've worked with a bit. I'm also in the middle of trying to work through the method outlined in Schneeberger et al's paper which seems like it may have potential to successfully combine the benefits of alignment and assembly, but is a really long multi-step manual process and relies on some older tools (AMOScmp, for example). I'm about halfway through a work-through, so I can't tell you whether it's any better than pure de-novo or Velvet Columbus yet, but take a look and see whether it has the potential to help you.

Comment

Hi,

I was wondering if you've had any results from trying out both Velvet Columbus and the method from the paper? I'm looking to do some reference-based assembly and so would be nice to have this rough benchmarking information at hand.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by StopCodon View Post
        Hi,

What are some of the tools for reference guided assembly? I am trying to assemble a Eukaryotic genome around 800-1000MB in length. There is a closely related species genome available (about 70% of Illumina 100 bp reads from this genome align to the related species). I do not have a large RAM machine to do a true de novo assembly (my machine is about 24GB RAM). I have about 50x coverage from Illumina and SOLiD paired-end reads. MOSAIK seems to be one tool that claims to do this but I found zero citations to the MOSAIK publication for assembly.
        Why not try Tophat/cufflinks pipeline for assembling transcripts based on your reference. I am currently doing that with good results

Comment

Hi upendra_35,

Any suggestions for genome assemblies? Not transcripts?

thx

Comment

Originally posted by mht View Post
            Hi upendra_35,

Any suggestions for genome assemblies? Not transcripts?

thx
            Hi, Newbler performs reference-guided assembly. I ran it from the command line. It is runMapper option.

Hope this helps

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses