No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddRadTag Fragment Size Selection for EcoRI

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently trying to optimise a ddradtag protocol and after we received our first set of sequences back, it appears we've had a few issues. (We are using Stacks to analyse our data)
    My first question is, when using EcoRI as one of the digest enzymes, does anyone know if there should be a difference in fragment numbers depending on which size you select? We are going mostly off the Peterson paper and according to them, the fragment distribution appears to be fairly uniform.
    We have size selected for ~400bp (+/- 50bp) which I know is quite a large window, but we are getting fairly excessive numbers of stacks (upwards of 75000) with quite a low depth.
    I'm thinking its fairly likely that this is due to our wide size selection range, but as other people seem to be selecting smaller fragments, I was wondering if this is likely to have any effect?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers

What species are you genotyping and what is your second enzyme? If the GC content differs from the GC of the second enzyme, then that will shift the size distribution of the fragments. Are you size selecting on a Pippin?
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

We are doing Koala and Black lip oyster (and a few other species which we haven't looked at properly yet). Our second enzyme is MspI and we chose to use the pippin prep for size selection as we figured it would be more accurate than a gel cut.
      I'm just trying to work out why we ended up with so many fragments compared to what others have documented.

Comment

Hmmm, MspI is GC rich, and pearl oyster (is that a comparable reference?) is AT-rich, so that would significantly increase the size of ddRAD fragments, and EcoRI is AT-rich, so that would increase the number of loci. But if you are seeing the same pattern in different species with different GC contents, that wouldn't really explain it.

If there are lots of polymorphisms then reads that should be allelic might be kept as separate loci as well, so that could contribute.
        Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
          by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
          05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
        • seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses