No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Sequence aligners to use?

Hello wise people,

I'm trying to align a sequence of a gene that is present in two related species. Each of the genes in either species has SNPs in various positions. My goal is to find if the SNPs are in similar positions, or better yet align with each other.

In one species the length is ~700 bases and the other ~1200bases.
    I didn't know how to go about with it, so with trial and error, I tried using different aligners [clc, bioedit (pairwise alignment, global and clustalw), muscle]...and they are all giving me different results.

I was just wondering what might be causing the differences because I am presuming I am doing something wrong.

Which other aligners would you suggest I use for this. Should I do global alignment or local alignment?

If they differ in length that much, there probably isn't one easy way to align them, and that's why you are getting different answers. Have you tried aligning the predicted protein sequences? Those will likely be more similar than the DNA sequences. And in the end, you probably care most about teh amino acid changes anyway.

Comment

That's a good observation and idea, and it makes sense!
      No, I haven't yet tried the predicted protein sequences. I will try that route. Thank you swbarnes2

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses