No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding reads shared between 2 bam files

Hi
    I have mapped bisulfite converted HiSeq reads separately to in silico converted forward & reverse strands so have files
    Code:
    sample.forward.bam
    sample.reverse.bam
    I now would like a count of the reads which map to both and only both of the strands i.e. those which are in both forward & reverse bam files but not in only one of them.
    Any ideas?
    I was thinking of using either:
    Code:
    samtools merge out.bam sample.forward.bam sample.reverse.bam
    but can't work out how this would help
    Could another option could be to use bedtools to convert both bam to bed & then intersect these? Something like:
    Code:
    bamToBed -i sample.forward.bam > for.reads.bed
    bamToBed -i sample.reverse.bam > rev.reads.bed
    intersectBed -a .for.reads.bed -b rev.reads.bed -c
    Would this work?
    Thanks

This will somewhat depend on how you did the alignments. You also run into the problem of whether to consider a read that just barely mapped to say, the original top strand (assume a large edit distance), but mapped perfectly with no edits to the original bottom strand as actually mapping to both strands or not.

Converting the alignments to BED files and then intersecting them won't do what you want, since you'll be intersecting covered areas rather than whether an individual read maps (e.g. if a read aligns to chr1 of the top strand and chr2 of the bottom strand then the intersection (which is coordinate based) won't work). You could merge the alignments and name sort them and then just write a program to process that. That would be quite straight forward. You could also use an almost identical program on the unmerged files to save a step (and some time).

Might I ask what you're trying to accomplish with this? If you're trying to just figure out which of your reads to exclude from downstream analysis because of ambiguous mapping then you could just rerun the alignments with Bismark or Bison (of which I'm the author).
    Last edited by dpryan; 07-17-2013, 02:01 AM. Reason: said BAM and meant BED!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses