Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumor-only variant calling

I'm attempting to call SNVs in tumor samples without a paired normal sample. Some of these tumor samples can have low purity, so the allelic frequency of somatic variants is much lower than the .5 expected for germline SNPs. FreeBayes in particular gives these variants an extremely low quality score, even with the --pooled-continuous model, making it difficult to usefully filter the resulting VCF.

Does anyone know of a good SNV caller designed for single tumor samples? Foundation Medicine claims to have built one, but did not release it publicly.

Failing that: Can I fudge FreeBayes' --ploidy or --cnv-map arguments based on known tumor purity so that it will model any fully clonal somatic SNVs properly?

This workflow looks like:
    1. Infer copy number segments from mapped reads (CNVkit).
    2. Infer tumor purity from segments (THetA).
    3. Compute fake tumor-cell ploidy = (2 / tumor_purity). Example: sample is 20% tumor cells; a somatic, heterozygous SNV that is fully clonal in the tumor cells would have allele frequency .1, so fake ploidy is 10.
    4. Rescale CNV values to fake ploidy, so neutral copy number is the fake ploidy value (e.g. 10). Round to integers.
    5. Run FreeBayes with --cnv-map = rescaled CNVs. (Also --pooled-discrete, I suppose.)

Would this allow FreeBayes to accurately call somatic variants with appropriate quality scores?

Could the same be done with GATK UnifiedGenotyper or HaplotypeCaller, or samtools?

Mentioned in another thread:

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
    You might try LoFreq for calling rarer variants:
    Download LoFreq for free. Fast and sensitive variant-calling from sequencing data. None

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23066108
    I think this is the sort of variant caller I was looking for.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses