No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat SAM - Expressing Paired End Multi-reads

Hi,

I've been struggling to understand exactly how TopHat represents multi-reads in its output SAM file, especially in the context of paired end reads. I've done some background reading, but I haven't been able to clear things up - somefully someone can help.

Let's say TopHat is considering a pair with ends A and B, and it finds two alignment combinations that make sense (i.e. where both ends map to opposite strands of the same chromosome, at an expected distance apart):

A->P1
    B->P2

A->P3
    B->P4

How are these represented in the SAM? The way I understand it at the moment, there will be 4 lines in the SAM, one for each alignment. However, I can't see how the knowledge that A->P1 and B->P2 are associated with each other in an important way is represented.

Put another way, I can't see how you could take the SAM record A->P1 and "find" the corresponding sibling B->P2 while recognizing that B->P4 is not the correct sibling.

If this information is in fact lost, does this mean that SAM is not expressive enough to capture ambiguous alignments for paired end reads? And won't it mean that downstream processors, e.g. CuffLinks, will not have access to important information that was originally available?

Apologies for the long-winded question!

thanks for your time,

I believe the position of the mate is contained in field 8 and the distance between mates is contained in the field 9 in the SAM format so the SAM format should be able to contain enough information to correctly match P1 with P2 and P3 with P4. Briefly looking at my own SAM files produced by TopHat, it seems TopHat does not use field 9, but the mate position is reported in field 8 (if the mate is mapped).

Comment

Thanks Thomas.

Perhaps there is still a certain amount of ambiguity in the some cases, e.g.?

A->P1
      B->P2

A->P3
      B->P2 (B is the same in both)

In this scenario, presumably TopHat would output two B->P2 SAM records, each with a different field 8?

If this is the case, field 8 of the A->P1 SAM record is now ambiguous (since it refers equally well to both B->P2s)?

I wonder how CuffLinks etc. processes these kinds of scenarios - perhaps it doesn't need to deconvolute pairs?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses