Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GillermoPonz
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 6

    #1

    Pair-end sequence data preparation for Trancriptome assembly

    Hi everyone,

    I'm about to perform a transcriptome assembly with Trinity, but I have a basic question.

    I have two RNA-Seq files containing 40 million Pair-End reads from Illumina Hi-Seq. After performing a FastQC I’ve observed that the first 10 bases have a bad result in the "Per Base Sequence Content" plot and I want to trim them (by trimming I mean Trimming by column, because the quality trimming didn’t fix the problem) to avoid problems during the assembly. My problem is that I don’t know if by trimming the first 10 bases of the 5’ end in both files I will mess up the sequence pair mating and completely ruin the downstream analysis.

    Could anybody help me with this? I know is a basic question, but I’m a newbie and I haven’t been able to get the answer by myself.
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Do not trim the data at the beginning of the read. That bias is a "known" feature of RNAseq data and it does not affect any downstream analysis.

    See post #261 and #263: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...t=4846&page=14

    Comment

    • GillermoPonz
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 6

      #3
      Thanks for your quick answer, this info has been very useful for me.

      But just for curiosity, do you know if it would affect the pairing of the sequences (and in consequence the ability of Trinity to use the pair-end information) if I trim them?

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #4
        As long as you use a trimming program (trimmomatic, bbduk etc) that is paired-end aware, pairing of sequences in your data would be maintained.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...