Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • flobpf
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 76

    #1

    Newbler segmentation fault

    I'm using Newbler x86_64 version to assemble my 454 reads on a cluster machine. When I try to use this command:
    Code:
    addRun -lib 3kb_PE project2 GE3Z0RR02.sff
    I keep on getting an instantaneous Segmentation fault error. I also noticed a (core dump) message before segmentation fault. Wikipedia says you get this error when program tries to access memory it is not allowed to.

    What is the solution, though? I'm not even sure if Newbler is trying to do that since the error is almost instantaneous (its certainly not going above allocated usage). I am confused by this error...please help. Any suggestion will be useful
  • genelab
    Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 27

    #2
    We once run into this error, when we run the Soap2.2. We used gdb to debug the error, and we found it is the libstd++.so library which was not compatible with the Soap2.20 executable program. I just think if you could use gdb to debug your addRun, like this:

    gdb addRun -lib 3kb_PE project2 GE3Z0RR02.sff

    Comment

    • flobpf
      Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 76

      #3
      That worked...but did not quite solve the problem

      Originally posted by genelab View Post
      We once run into this error, when we run the Soap2.2. We used gdb to debug the error, and we found it is the libstd++.so library which was not compatible with the Soap2.20 executable program. I just think if you could use gdb to debug your addRun, like this:

      gdb addRun -lib 3kb_PE project2 GE3Z0RR02.sff
      @genelabs: Thanks for that suggestion! Atleast I know what is wrong now. I ran:
      Code:
      gdb addRun (followed by) run -lib 3kb_PE project2 GE3Z0RR02.sff
      I got the following error:
      Code:
      warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint
      
      Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
      0x00000000004e3423 in ?? ()
      Wonder what could be the issue??

      Thanks for your help!

      Comment

      • genelab
        Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 27

        #4
        It seems that some problems exist in your gdb from the warning message "shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint". I am sorry I didn't encounte this kind of error message before and cannot give your beneficial suggestions. You can google it.

        Comment

        • flobpf
          Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 76

          #5
          Solved!

          We finally realized that the FTP of the sequencing center that gave us the files was set to ASCII mode when it should have been set to binary mode. Fixing that fixed this problem.

          If you're using Wget, by default it will use binary mode according to the manual.

          Thanks @genelab for the helpful suggestions before...

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          1 view
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          25 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...