Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Newbler

Is there any demo copy available for Newbler?

yes, I am interested in this assembler too.who can give us a reply.

Comment

I think you only get it if you have a 454... (with all the licensing, etc)
      --
      bioinfosm

Comment

yes this is true. If you have the 454 software with the licence then you can use it

Comment

What is the alternative?
          Homepage: Dan Bolser
          MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

There are other commercial software available to analyse your 454 without using gsMapper/DeNovo or gsAssembler. The only one I can currently remember is Biogene

Comment

I was specifically thinking of non commercial tools. I think I'll try the wgs-assembler (Celera assembler).

Cheers,

Comment

wgs-assembler makes a good job on sanger, FLX and Titanium data either alone
                or as hybrid assemblies ..

It is not working with short read data (illiumina, solid) and is not optimised for
                old gs20 data.

cheers,
                Sven

Comment

If you use 454 data you can just ask for the Newbler software. We did it this way and we received a DVD containing everything we need.

Comment

MIRA should be nice alternative as well. I would go on wgs or MIRA ... or check velvet... in my mind these three are the most promising. I tested a bit CLC Genome Workbench and was not particularly impressed...

Originally posted by strob View Post
                    If you use 454 data you can just ask for the Newbler software. We did it this way and we received a DVD containing everything we need.

Comment

Not so here in Chile...

Originally posted by strob View Post
                      I did that and I was told I can get the software only if I have a GS FLX system. I get this answer from a representant of Roche here in Chile.

---sram

Comment

I really have no idea why Roche insist that only people with the sequencer are allowed the software... They are actively damaging their software's status among the bioinformatics community.

Seriously, what do they expect? Only sequencing centres will do bioinf analysis with 454 data? Clearly not. Therefore we are forced by Roche NOT to use Roche products... What kind of crazy logic is that?

Dear Roche,

Please make Newbler open source immediately.

Sincerely,

Someone who imagines that you actually care about improving your software and increasing its user base.

sram, try writing to the people who gave you the data, and ask them to ask Roach on your behalf.

Comment

Again, I had no trouble getting the software. They just asked me where we get our sequences from (which provider), and a few days later the DVD's were in my mailbox....

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                            I really have no idea why Roche insist that only people with the sequencer are allowed the software... They are actively damaging their software's status among the bioinformatics community.

Seriously, what do they expect? Only sequencing centres will do bioinf analysis with 454 data? Clearly not. Therefore we are forced by Roche NOT to use Roche products... What kind of crazy logic is that?

Dear Roche,

Please make Newbler open source immediately.

Sincerely,

Someone who imagines that you actually care about improving your software and increasing its user base.

sram, try writing to the people who gave you the data, and ask them to ask Roach on your behalf.
                            Dan, thank you. I will do that. I am receiving the data from research centres in Europe who work with us in some projects. In fact some samples are ours and they are supporting us with the sequencing. Perhaps Roche have a different policy in Europe.. taking in account the message from strob, who appear to be writing from Belgium.
                            I totally agree with you about Roche should make this software available for academic research. For commercial uses is another thing.

---sram

Comment

I work indeed in Belgium, Europe. And I even work in a commercial company....

At the PAG meeting I discussed this with Roche at their booth and they just told me that I should contact my local contact. After 1 phone cal, I received the software.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses