No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing DNA & cDNA

Hi guys,

For my reasearch I am studying both DNA and RNA viruses. Currently I extract both partitions from a sample and treat them as separate samples. For my RNA I perform a whole transcriptome amplification, effectively converting all the RNA into cDNA.

My question is - once I have converted my RNA to cDNA is it possible for me to mix both the cDNA and DNA fractions in order to prepare and run them at once on the GS Juinor platform? A Roche representative advised me not to do this but did not really clarify why. I cannot seem to think of any reason why it wouldn't work or how it would interfere with a successful run.

Has anyone here tried doing this?

Thank you.

Are you thinking of combining them before making libraries, or after? I wouldn't combine them before making libraries for a couple of reasons. First, the cDNA will have to be double stranded if it's going to work in the same way as genomic DNA. Second, the amount of data you'll get from each type of sample will depend on how much of each type of DNA is represented in the library, and that will be hard to get right. However, if you're planning to make separate libraries and just combine them for sequencing, I don't see any problem with that. You might get better results if you only combine them after emPCR, and combine the beads in some ratio based on how much data you want from each.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses