Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly paired-end sequences with Velvet

I have sequences from illumina HiSeq 2000. I'll show you the sequence data that I have a bacteria.

fernando@InvDllo04[Lactobacillus] grep -c "^@" *.fq
    FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016080-93_1.fq:1106031
    FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016080-93_2.fq:1106031
    FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016080-93_1.fq:1088418
    FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016080-93_2.fq:1088418

As you can see, I have four files with 1106031, 1106031, 1088418, 1088418 sequences. I'm trying to perform an assembly with Velvet. but I am very confused because I do not know how to use these files. I was reading in some blogs and they say it is necessary to use a script from Velvet (shuffleSequences_fastq.pl), i.e.

1) shuffleSequences_fastq.pl FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016081-94_1.fq FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016081-94_2.fq FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016081-94_shuffled.fq

2) shuffleSequences_fastq.pl FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016081-94_1.fq FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016081-94_2.fq FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016081-94_shuffled.fq

3) velveth auto 31,45,2 -fastq -shortPaired1 FCHCTVLADXX_L1_wHAIPI016081-94_shuffled.fq -fastq -shortPaired2 FCHCTVLADXX_L2_wHAIPI016081-94_shuffled.fq

4) velvetg auto_31 -exp_cov auto

I do not know if I'm doing the right thing using the shuffled scritp or if I should just use the option "-separate" and run Velvet as follows:

velveth Assem 31 -shortPaired -fasta -separate left.fa right.fa

where:
    -separate: Read 2 separate files for paired reads
    -short -shortPaired
    -short2 -shortPaired2

And the run "velvetg"...

My confusion here is because I have apparently two files "left.fa" and two "rigth.fa" instead of one as in the previous example.

I'd like you to tell me how to run Velvet

Thank you very much.

Don't have experience with velvet, because I found the setup very un-intuitive, and couldn't be bothered with it -> therefore some recommendation to you, use something else then.
    e.g. Ray is easy to setup, and can handle more than one library.

Comment

If you want to use velvet, I would concatenate your two read1 files together, and concatenate your read2 files together, then run it:

cat *_1.fq >r1.fq
      cat *_2.fq >r2.fq

velveth Assem 31 -shortPaired -fastq -separate r1.fq r2.fq
      velvetg Assem

A value higher than 31 is probably better for kmer length; that's just an example.

Comment

Next seq data with velvet

How to run velvet with Next seq data. It has four single reads??

Thanks
        Bioinform

Comment

Are you talking about 2 paired NextSeq libraries? Or do you mean Nextera LMP, which ends up (typically) with 4 output files for a single library after you process it?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses