No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality score issues

Hi all,

i am wondering what are possible causes of low Q30 scores, apart from overclustering?

I am working with amplicon libraries which were sequenced on MiSeq using v2 500 PE kit. I sequenced 12 libraries, all prepared simultaneously using the same method. PhiX comprised 21% of the run. The run metrics looked good with avg Q30 of 88%, and the output was very high with nearly 43 million PE reads (expected 25-30 mil). Cluster density was high, about 1,200 K/mm2 which is the upper end for this kit, but ~94% reads passed filter.
    However when I ran FastQC on my samples I got very poor per base quality scores for some libraries (but not all!). For some libraries the scores were worse for Read 1, and for others for Read 2. This resulted in a lot of data being discarded.
    It basically looks like Q30 data from BaseSpace (where median Q30 score is low only for late cycles for each read) does not match with quality scores given by FastQC.

I would be grateful for any insight as to why this would happen!

Many thanks,
    Dubravka

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses