No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Suggestions for Minion Mk1c

Hi,

We are looking to buy a computer since our IT department figured it'll be easier this way. I was wondering what type of computer system has worked best for you? We are currently in the looks of doing single cell genomics and cDNA analysis. It would be nice to know the general scope of how everyone is using nanopore (for what purpose) and which type of computer has worked best for it. Thank you in advance!

I assume you mean Mk1b; the Mk1c is a single enclosed unit, including sequencer, screen, and computer.

There are two must-haves for a MinION sequencing computer: an NVIDIA GPU graphics card, and SSD storage.

The GPU caller is hundreds to thousands of times quicker than the CPU caller, which is essential if you want to do more than one sequencing run every couple of weeks. See Miles Benton's GPU benchmark pages for information on what GPU cards work well enough for doing adaptive sequencing (i.e. selection of reads while sequencing is happening). If all you need to do is basecall after a run is finished (as all the other sequencers on the market do), then pretty much any new NVIDIA GPU card will do.

The SSD card is needed because of the throughput of the device. It's not happy if reads can't be written quickly to disk.

Comment

Hi all,

i have the following laptop, can anyone tell if it can be used with Minion, we want to try to sequence a bacterial genome (no barcoding). Does the basecalling is done in the cloud?

Intel Core i7-8565U (8MB Cache), 16GB 2666MHz DDR4,
      256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, AMD Radeon 520 with 2G GDDR5

------------
      SMART - bioinfo.uni-plovdiv.bg

Comment

Originally posted by vebaev View Post
        Hi all,

i have the following laptop, can anyone tell if it can be used with Minion, we want to try to sequence a bacterial genome (no barcoding). Does the basecalling is done in the cloud?

Intel Core i7-8565U (8MB Cache), 16GB 2666MHz DDR4,
        256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, AMD Radeon 520 with 2G GDDR5
        Hello vebaev,

I haven't ran a MinIon run in quite a while because I'm more used to Illumina machines. But I know that MinION Mk1B and Flongle (on MinION Mk1B) have the option to do basecalling on the computer locally. I believe all others can do basecalling in the cloud. I think depending on how you are doing it, the data processing can take some time.

If you are using the Mk1c like the original poster, then I think the document I added will help you figure out if your computer will work.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Yes I will use MinION Mk1B, so i hope i can do the sequencing on the above laptop, and that later to do the basecalling on more powerful machine?
          ------------
          SMART - bioinfo.uni-plovdiv.bg

Comment

Originally posted by vebaev View Post
            Thanks. Yes I will use MinION Mk1B, so i hope i can do the sequencing on the above laptop, and that later to do the basecalling on more powerful machine?
            If you're using the Mk1B, then this document will help better to show you the laptop requirements.
            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses