I am wondering if I can use BLASR for aligning RNASeq reads from Human cell lines. I am interested in identifying the splice sites. I read this paper "Evaluation of tools for long read RNA-seq splice-aware alignment" (Bioinformatics, 2018) where different splice aware tools were compared and concluded GMAP to be the best among the compared ones. However, they didn't include BLASR in their evaluation. Could the reason be that BLASR is suitable only for genomic read alignments? Thanks.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Thanks for your response and the link. What could be the reason for BLASR being not a suitable aligner? I mean, it works like BLAST finding local alignments after incorporating the PacBio error model and that should be good enough to align exon regions on the genome. What am I missing here? Thanks.Originally posted by Magdoll View PostYou cannot use BLASR.
Comment
-
BLASR is not splice aware - it cannot map exon-exons. Newer aligners like minimap2 are well equipped to handle errors for PacBio data. For most PacBio RNA-seq (what we call Iso-Seq) data, the error rate would be very low anyway.
In more practical terms, BLASR is getting phased out. We encourage users to switch to newer aligners like minimap2 that are being actively maintained and developed.
Comment
-
Thanks for taking time explaining this. One last thing.
Would Minimap2 be effective enough aligning to non-canonical coding regions, for example, fusion transcripts?
Perhaps, I should give it a try myself, but thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks again.Last edited by RamP; 02-05-2019, 01:03 AM.
Comment
-
Yes both GMAP and minimap2 could work for fusion detection.
In GMAP it would be using the `-n 0` parameter which says "only output a single alignment *unless* the best alignment is chimeric" which essentially screens for fusion transcripts when you look for sequences with 2+ alignment results.
In minimap2 I think it's `--secondary=no`, though admittedly I have tested it less.
I have a follow up script that processes the SAM files to look for fusion: https://github.com/Magdoll/cDNA_Cupc...ng-step#fusion
If you have problems using the scripts above, please file through GitHub Issues.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment