Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • galka8
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1

    #1

    csfastq analysis using Tophat 1.3.1

    Hi! I was wondering - is there a way to load the .csfastq files downloaded from the SRA directly into Tophat 1.3.1, or can Tophat only handle separate .csfasta and .qual files?
    Thanks in advance!
  • thurisaz
    Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 24

    #2
    Hi,

    tophat comes with a program called sra2solid which is supposed to prep the .csfastq file for use with tophat (trimming the quality score for the adapter, I think). I tried it and it seemed to work just as well as using separate csfasta & qual files. On the other hand, I didn't really get tophat to work to my satisfaction overall with the SRA SOLiD data set I was trying -- it didn't seem to find any splice junctions and I got a "malformed closure" error in one of the logs.

    Good luck!

    Comment

    • xguo
      Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 48

      #3
      Originally posted by thurisaz View Post
      Hi,

      tophat comes with a program called sra2solid which is supposed to prep the .csfastq file for use with tophat (trimming the quality score for the adapter, I think). I tried it and it seemed to work just as well as using separate csfasta & qual files. On the other hand, I didn't really get tophat to work to my satisfaction overall with the SRA SOLiD data set I was trying -- it didn't seem to find any splice junctions and I got a "malformed closure" error in one of the logs.

      Good luck!
      I had the same problem with tophat for short SOLiD data (35bp). The current version of TopHat is optimized for reads more than 75 bp long. Have you tried other softwares and could you share your experience on that?

      Comment

      • thurisaz
        Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 24

        #4
        Hi,

        Sorry for not replying earlier -- I was away on holiday. I eventually used an older version of tophat (1.1.4) to align my SOLiD data.

        Comment

        • xguo
          Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 48

          #5
          Did you find junctions using that version? Does version 1.1.4 use seed-extend or split-align strategy? Thanks a lot.

          Originally posted by thurisaz View Post
          Hi,

          Sorry for not replying earlier -- I was away on holiday. I eventually used an older version of tophat (1.1.4) to align my SOLiD data.

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          30 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          25 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...