Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• csfastq analysis using Tophat 1.3.1

Hi! I was wondering - is there a way to load the .csfastq files downloaded from the SRA directly into Tophat 1.3.1, or can Tophat only handle separate .csfasta and .qual files?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi,

tophat comes with a program called sra2solid which is supposed to prep the .csfastq file for use with tophat (trimming the quality score for the adapter, I think). I tried it and it seemed to work just as well as using separate csfasta & qual files. On the other hand, I didn't really get tophat to work to my satisfaction overall with the SRA SOLiD data set I was trying -- it didn't seem to find any splice junctions and I got a "malformed closure" error in one of the logs.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by thurisaz View Post
      Hi,

tophat comes with a program called sra2solid which is supposed to prep the .csfastq file for use with tophat (trimming the quality score for the adapter, I think). I tried it and it seemed to work just as well as using separate csfasta & qual files. On the other hand, I didn't really get tophat to work to my satisfaction overall with the SRA SOLiD data set I was trying -- it didn't seem to find any splice junctions and I got a "malformed closure" error in one of the logs.

Good luck!
      I had the same problem with tophat for short SOLiD data (35bp). The current version of TopHat is optimized for reads more than 75 bp long. Have you tried other softwares and could you share your experience on that?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for not replying earlier -- I was away on holiday. I eventually used an older version of tophat (1.1.4) to align my SOLiD data.

Comment

Did you find junctions using that version? Does version 1.1.4 use seed-extend or split-align strategy? Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by thurisaz View Post
          Hi,

Sorry for not replying earlier -- I was away on holiday. I eventually used an older version of tophat (1.1.4) to align my SOLiD data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses