No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid 5500xl

Hi everyone,

has anyone upgraded to the 5500xl yet ? If so, are you impressed ? What about the new software (Life/Livescope) ?

If not, do you know if they are producing again at the Hitachi plant in Japan and how long delays might be ?

Our SOLiD 5500 was ordered Fall 2010, was anticipated March, now I hear sometime July - October. It was delayed, then tsunami, etc. We already decided not to buy a second 5500 and bought another HiSeq, it was delivered two days after PO went through (end of quarter special).

Comment

Originally posted by colindaven View Post
      Hi everyone,

has anyone upgraded to the 5500xl yet ? If so, are you impressed ? What about the new software (Life/Livescope) ?

If not, do you know if they are producing again at the Hitachi plant in Japan and how long delays might be ?
      We got our current SOLiD system last year with the upgrade bundled into the purchase. Our 5500 system is slated to ship sometime this summer, but that was the last word I heard from our ABI reps, so seems delayed at least a few months from what they were saying in January.

ABI has a webinar next week on an intro to LifeScope - check on their training page if you have access. I should get it soon (we have a Penguin Scyld cluster for BioScope now and will put LifeScope on that).

May 24 - P.S. According to the order I placed yesterday for our upgrade to LifeScope Core Server software, it will ship on June 19th.
      Last edited by mbblack; 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM.
      Michael Black, Ph.D.
      ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Our first 5500xl is due in the lab on June 13th. Has anyone completed any runs yet? Especially paired end?

Comment

I am also anxious to hear about this. We do not have a date on our install as of yet.

Comment

Hi, our 5500 XL has been delivered the last week. They are assembling it together with our new cluster. I'll let you know very soon

Comment

We are in the middle of our first two runs. Deposition is a breeze, tho we are having a harder time hitting the beads per panel we want. Getting the flowchip on is easy as pie, and its basically push the button and walk away once its on. Software is taking some getting used to... more updates later!

Comment

Our 5500 SOLiD and the LifeScope cluster were delivered this week and will be set up next week.

While I am waiting for machines, I am reading manuals of the cluster based on Scyld SclusterWare that are available at the web page of Penguin Computing.

Comment

I received our copy of LifeScope last week, but have not had time to install it yet (it will go on our Penguin BioScope Cluster). LifeScope has a wholly new GUI and includes new tools for graphical presentation of data, so it will be interesting to see. I've never actually used the GUI for BioScope, just the CLI.
                  Michael Black, Ph.D.
                  ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

any news on the 5500?

Comment

Two runs are done, the quality of the reads looks really good. From what I can tell. Its kind of hard to tell, other than the floaty dot and the green bars were together and up high. Who thought THAT was a good metric display thingie...... But the satay plots look really good.
                      I miss being able to see best plus good beads. Its going to take a LOT of getting used to the new interface. I know its supposed to be intuitive but my intuition is on vacation.

Comment

How about speed of the runs? The 5500 is supposed to be about 2x faster than the SOLiD4. Do you find that to be the case?

--
                        Phillip

Comment

We got no hard copies of manuals for anything along with our 5500xl- just a usb drive with soft copies and spent half a day taking printouts. Is the case with everyone else?

Comment

Yes, we only got soft copies too.

Comment

Ours came on a USB key, but included an old Apple iPad (first version) to view the protocols. The protocols were out of date, so I downloaded new ones from the Applied Biosystems web site.

To tell you the truth, I did not really want another set of giant manuals that are outdated in 6 months. The iPad is a step in the right direction. But there are factors that are not ideal. First, to get the .pdfs on the iPad, you pretty much have to use iTunes. (Unless you are 1337 enough that jail breaking your iPad holds no terror for you.) The iTunes wants a credit card number even if you don't want to buy material. In the US, at least, there is a work-around that avoids this issue. Second, things are still clunky for finding the right manual and navigating until you get used to using the iPad. Third, one worries about dropping the iPad and breaking it.

Possibly cheaper alternatives (eg, Kindle) are worth considering. Brave new world...

--
                              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses